After enrolling in John Carroll University’s Nonprofit Administration Graduate Program, I began seeing differences almost immediately in my professional capacities as a young leader in the nonprofit sector. The program is designed for practitioners who seek to make a difference in their communities, which is apparent from day one. Professors ask students to share real-world case studies and challenges they are working through in class, so I could immediately begin to apply in-class lessons to my work. I also love that the program has been made affordable through a scholarship, meaning I don’t have to take out a student loan to pay for the program on a nonprofit salary! John Carroll truly lives its commitment to service, both to the community and to its students who wish to serve the community.

The faculty have been monumental in shaping my experience. Coming from Ohio State University as an undergraduate student, I was worried what a small, private university could offer me. However, Dani Robbins, the director of the Nonprofit Administration Program, could not have been more welcoming and supportive. Dani also taught my first class, the introductory course, which felt like a mini master’s program all in itself. I saw a marked difference in my understanding of nonprofit management from the beginning of the course to the end and was confident even just after the first class period that the program was the right fit for me.

Perhaps the most important lesson I have learned so far is the role of the board of directors, which is crucial not just to my work as a nonprofit employee but also as a current board member. I feel now that I have a greater appreciation for the work of the board work and what it entails, which is not always understood – even by nonprofit leaders and board members themselves. This knowledge equips me to be a capable leader in the nonprofit sector in the future.

– Katie Ferman, '20G