John Carroll University welcomed Blue Streaks legend London Fletcher ’97 home to campus on Saturday, September 28, honoring him ahead of his College Football Hall of Fame induction in December. 

The National Football Foundation and John Carroll recognized Fletcher at halftime of the Blue Streaks’ football game against Mount Union. “This weekend was a celebration of my accomplishments, but also a celebration for my teammates,” Fletcher said. “Football is the ultimate team sport. You rely on others and you work in cohesion to excel. So, this is a celebration for my teammates and coaches.”

Prior to Saturday’s recognition, the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company surprised Fletcher with a ride in the Goodyear Blimp alongside his former high school and college coach Mike Moran. Moran led the John Carroll men’s basketball team for 25 years before retiring in 2017. He is in his 27th season as the head men’s golf coach at JCU.

The pair won two Ohio state basketball championships at Villa Angela-St. Joseph’s before reuniting at John Carroll.

Coach Moran shaped my life in a tremendous way,” Fletcher said. “At the time I met him, he became a father figure. He instilled discipline and accountability. There were no excuses I could give him. He taught me some great lessons that I hold on to today. My relationship with Coach is special. It has evolved from father figure, to head coach, to friend.

Fletcher and Goodyear also partnered on a video celebrating his journey as a child in inner city Cleveland to becoming the first DIII student-athlete inducted in the CFHOF.

For the Media

If you are a news reporter or photographer seeking an expert interview, John Carroll University can connect you with the appropriate resources based on your interest.

Contact Us

Executive Director of Strategic Communications

Mike Scanlan '06

mscanlan@jcu.edu