The renovation of Dolan Hall is nearly complete after being entirely gutted less than a year ago. Krill Construction company leaders say the project is on schedule and is expected to be done in July. They say the building will be ready to house students starting the fall semester of 2022. Arrupe and other mission-based scholars will get first priority to live in the renovated residence hall.  

The massive project began last May with demolition which took nearly three months to complete. Dolan Hall was originally built in 1955 which means all electric, plumbing, and heating infrastructure had to be removed and replaced to meet current building code regulations.

Lisa Brown Cornelius, Senior Director in the office of residence life says the renovation was designed with both current and future students in mind. “We wanted to modernize the space while preserving some of the character and beauty of the original building,” she says. Project leaders say the ornate wood carving and trim from the foyer of the original building will be reinstalled once the renovation is complete. 

Dolan Renovations

A common area under construction

The updated residence hall will include more social and study spaces, including lounges on each floor. Dolan Hall will have a new community room that may serve as a residential and campus programming space. Community restrooms in the building now include more privacy features. There are also more residence hall rooms with private bathrooms. The design also adds gender-inclusive bathroom spaces to increase accessibility, inclusivity, and equity in JCU residence halls.

In addition to the other improvements, the Counseling Center and the Wellness Center will be relocating to a renovated space on the ground floor of Dolan Hall. This means the ground floor of the building will be accessible to all JCU community members during specific hours. The residential portion of the building will remain accessible only to residents via card access.

dolan lobby

Rendering of the new Dolan Hall lobby

Senior and residence advisor, Ray Flannery ‘22 says living on campus has given him invaluable social experiences, but also offers academic advantages too. “I’m just steps away from classes or my professors' office hours at all times. I feel productive with the entire campus at my disposal for studying. Whether this means walking to the library during exam weeks or claiming a study nook in my hall, I have conveniently close options,” he says.

I have come to enjoy living in a community with others because it feels lively and inviting at all times in my building. As someone who has lived on campus for the entirety of my time at JCU, I'm convinced my experience would not have been the same without the friends I made and the time I spent on my floor.
Flannery RA

Ray Flannery '22 (right) spending time with friends in his residence hall

Once the renovations in Dolan Hall are complete, a new project to update Pacelli hall will begin in May of 2022. The Schott Dining Hall will undergo a transformation during the Summer of 2022. We’ll continue to update the progress of the Dolan Hall renovation as it enters the final phase of construction.