College Choice ranks John Carroll 8th in the 2016 “75 Best Catholic Colleges and Universities in the United States.”
For more than 130 years, John Carroll has focused on graduating students with intellect and character in the Jesuit tradition of educational excellence.
Our 60-acre suburban campus in University Heights, Ohio, is easy to navigate and offers state-of-the-art facilities, including the Dolan Center for Science and Technology and a newly renovated Murphy Hall. However, our close proximity to Downtown Cleveland provides students with opportunities for internships, research, service, recreation, culture, good food, and fun!
Admission is selective and focused on maintaining our excellent success rates for student retention and four-year graduation rates.
- 3,137 Undergraduate Students
- 536 Graduate Students
- 49% female, 51% male
- Students from 37 states and 50 countries
- Approximately 90% of freshmen and sophomores reside on campus
- Average class size of 20 students
- 41% of the Class of 2016 added a minor or a second major to their primary area of study
- 85% freshman-to-sophomore retention rate (compared to national averages of 79% for public institutions and 80% for private institutions)
- 72% four-year graduation rate (compared to national averages of 32% for public institutions and 52% for private institutions)
- More than 40,000 alumni in all 50 states and in 48 countries
- More than 500 businesses and organizations in Northeast Ohio are owned or operated by John Carroll alumni
- In a recent survey:
- 96% of alumni say the JCU experience contributed to their career.
- 74% of alumni currently provide leadership or have a leadership role at work or in the community.
- 68% of alumni participated in volunteer/community service in the past year.
- 94% of undergraduate alumni would recommend John Carroll to others.
- Crain’s Cleveland Business annually recognizes rising stars in the regional business community. Twenty-eight JCU alumni have been selected as “Forty Under 40” honorees.
- Download “The Value of a JCU Degree”
Our Distinctions and Points of Pride
- The 2019 “Best Colleges” edition of U.S. News & World Report ranks John Carroll University #4 among universities in the Midwest offering master’s programs. This marks the 30th consecutive year the University has been named one of the top 10 regional institutions.
- #8 in the “Best Value” category
- #3 in the “Best Colleges for Veterans” category
- U.S. News 2017 Best Grad School rankings rate our part-time Boler MBA among Ohio’s top 10 programs
- In 2017, the University was ranked by U.S. News & World Report at #2 for a “Strong Commitment to Undergraduate Teaching”
- #1 in the nation in student preparedness for employment, according to Bloomberg Businessweek, 2016 survey of employers.
- We are the only Ohio college or university to be named among the “top 100” MONEY Magazine 2015-16 Best Colleges rankings.
- Forbes lists John Carroll University as a Top 10 school in Ohio for their America’s Top Colleges 2015 rankings.
- John Carroll ranks among Kiplinger’s Top 100 Best Values in Private Colleges for 2014. JCU is one of only five Ohio schools in the “private school” category and ranks #92 in the nation.
- John Carroll University has been named to the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for eight consecutive years.
- In October 2014, for the fifth consecutive year, U.S. News & World Report recognized JCU as one of the top 25 colleges and universities in the nation for service-learning programs.
- The Boler School of Business holds dual accreditation by The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), a distinction held by only 5% of business programs worldwide.