Applying to John Carroll University is easy and FREE! That’s right, no application fee.

John Carroll is an exclusive member of The Common Application, meaning the Common Application is the only application for admission we accept.


Please follow these Application Steps:

  1. Submit the Common Application online. This becomes available on August 1 of the year before you intend to enroll. Want to see the essay questions ahead of time? Click here.
  2. Make sure your high school guidance office submits to us your transcript as well as a Common Application School Report and/or Common Application Counselor Recommendation.
  3. Additional recommendations, including a Common Application Teacher Evaluation, are optional.
  4. Share ZeeMee profile link* on Common Application (optional).
  5. Make sure we have the results of any and all testing by either the American College Testing Program (ACT) or the College Board (SAT I). To have results sent directly to John Carroll from the testing agencies, our university code for the ACT is 3282 and for the SAT is 1342. In regards to how scores from the new SAT will be considered, please review our SAT Policy page

Regarding the College Board’s optional Score Choice feature, John Carroll University does allow score choice, but you are encouraged to submit all test scores as we superscore standardized test scores (for both ACT and SAT) – if a student takes the SAT multiple times and sends us multiple scores, we will take the applicant’s highest section scores across all SAT test dates that are submitted to create a new, potentially higher superscore. We will do the same with the ACT.

*At John Carroll University we focus on getting to know our applicants beyond the numbers. In an effort to further our holistic review, we have partnered with ZeeMee, a free service that helps us to learn more about the person behind the application. A ZeeMee profile is completely optional and your application will not be delayed or viewed differently if you choose not to create one. For students who have chosen to create a ZeeMee profile, we offer the option to copy and paste that link into the Common App (there’s a dedicated field for it).  If you are interested in creating a ZeeMee profile you can sign up at

Special Notes for Home-Schooled Students:

Since some students in home-school programs do not follow a traditional high school curriculum, we ask that all home-school students provide us during the application process with complete and detailed documentation of their high school coursework and evaluations of progress from an approved home-school evaluator or supervisor.

Verification of high school graduation must be submitted prior to enrollment at John Carroll, and can be presented through any of the following forms:

  • A diploma from a home-school agency governed by a State Board of Education;
  • A letter from a local school district verifying graduation; or
  • A copy of the Graduate Equivalency Diploma (GED) transcript.

The application process is different depending on your starting point. Please make a selection below: