Ready to Visit Us?
When you are ready to visit the Writing Center, here are some preparation suggestions to ensure that you get the most out of your visit.
- Gather your materials and be ready to discuss them, no matter what point of the writing process you are in.
- Be mindful of your assignment’s due date; bringing in a paper one hour before it is due will put pressure and stress on you and the consultant that you work with, and you will not be able to get the most out of the session.
- Schedule an appointment for your visit by email, phone, or in person. Though we’ll gladly work with you if a consultant is free when you drop by, scheduling your visit in advance ensures that someone will be ready to help you.
- Give yourself plenty of time to make improvements suggested by the consultants, whether the revisions are extensive or surface-level. Visit the Center with a first draft at least a few days before your paper is due.
- You will be asked on your registration sheet to specify the aspects of your essay you would like the consultant to focus on. Come prepared with specific requests. The consultants can also help you to identify aspects of your writing that you could focus on or improve, and will offer suggestions and advice during the dialogue of your session.
- Bring all relevant materials with you:
- assignment sheets or guidelines
- course texts or source materials
- brainstorms, outlines, or previous drafts