Mary Doyle – Auburn, NY
- Undergraduate college, class, and major: John Carroll University ‘14, mathematics
Recipient, multiple academic scholarships; Dean’s List student; teaching fellow, summer prep program; member, club field hockey; member, Relay for Life; tutor, middle, high school, and university level; volunteer, missions trip to the Dominican Republic.
Jessica Fairchild – Cuyahoga Falls, OH
- Undergraduate college, class, and major: University of Akron ‘12, philosophy/business administration; John Carroll University ‘14, Post-baccalaureate mathematics coursework
Former bank customer service associate; co-founder, co-ed college cheerleading squad; Dean’s List student; recipient, academic scholarships; honors student and magna cum laude graduate; professional baker.
Brenna Flatley – Milford, MA
- Undergraduate college, class, and major: Carnegie Mellon University ‘14, mechanical engineering
Engineering researcher; assistant to professor developing statistics curriculum for use in high school; alternate spring break volunteer, orphanage project in Peru; clarinetist, Carnegie Mellon Kiltie Band; member, water polo club team; teaching assistant, university level.
Victoria Fleming – Cleveland, OH
- Undergraduate college, class, and major: Kennesaw State University ‘02, biology/chemistry (dual degree)
- Graduate institution and degree: Case Western Reserve University ‘11, Ph.D. (genetics)
Published researcher on the genetics of neurofibromatosis, with multiple articles in peer-reviewed journals; teaching assistant, genetics; private tutor, calculus and physiology; lab trainer; volunteer lecture for “DNA Days” in local high-need schools; recipient of NIH and American Heart Association support; mentor, high-need students; volunteer, children’s art and adult literacy.
Mary Giardina – Sandusky, OH
- Undergraduate college, class, and major: The Ohio State University ‘13, mathematics/English
Volunteer math tutor from university to elementary levels; research associate, math education; creator, mentoring program for future educators; former dance teacher, ages 3-12; participant/speaker in program on hate speech and civic engagement, U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum; volunteer, Boys and Girls Club and Big Brothers Big Sisters.
Kevin Hardin – Lakewood, OH
- Undergraduate college, class, and major: Ohio University ‘07, mechanical engineering
Dean’s List student; member, engineering honor society; recipient, academic scholarships; tutor, university level; volunteer, inner city co-op bike shop; mechanical designer, commercial vehicle company; mechanical designer and co-op participant, mechanical designs for automotive company, working directly with aerospace, medical, and military customers.
Sharita Hill – Richmond Heights, OH
- Undergraduate college, class, and major: Ursuline College ‘14, biology
Undergraduate researcher, HIV research training program; participant, undergraduate research experiment, cellular responses to detergent; Dean’s List student; chapter president, Students of Science; nurses’ assistant; preschool vision screener, Prevent Blindness Ohio.
Maribeth Keppler – Parma, OH
- Undergraduate college, class, and major: John Carroll University ‘13, biology
Substitute teacher; counselor for campus-based summer science program; intern with high-functioning autistic and Asperger’s syndrome children; lifeguard; retreat leader; Special Olympics volunteer; Children’s Hospital volunteer; honors student; varsity track athlete.
Gwendolyn Kinebrew – University Heights, OH
- Undergraduate college, class, and major: Arcadia University ‘90, biology/chemistry
- Graduate institution and degree: Temple University ‘92, M.S. (biology); ‘97, Ph.D. (biology)
Former tenured biology professor, 14+ years; adjunct community college faculty member; published scholar with multiple articles in peer-reviewed journals; advisor for more than 25 high school, undergraduate, and graduate students; chair and member of campus committees; recipient of scientific and community awards, including Call & Post Most Influential People citation; avid hiker.
Darrell Milligan – Hardwick, NJ
- Undergraduate college, class, and major: Caldwell College ‘99, biology
Pharmaceutical researcher with 11+ years of progressive research and development experience, including drug safety and training for junior scientists; veteran of the United States Marine Corps; martial arts specialist; program instructor for youth camp, including ecology, outdoors skills, and fitness; honors graduate; avid outdoorsman.
Leanne Vaughn – Highland Heights, OH
- Undergraduate college, class, and major: Case Western Reserve University ‘10, nutritional biochemistry and metabolism
- Graduate institution and degree: Case Western Reserve University ‘11, M.S. (nutrition)
Dietician and weight loss coach; research assistant studying type 2 diabetes and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease; undergraduate researcher, food science project on cherry juice; tutor, middle school and elementary school children; co-author, two articles in peer-reviewed publications; varsity athlete; honors graduate and recipient of multiple academic awards.
Steven Wang – Randolph, NJ
- Undergraduate college, class, and major: Tunghai University, Taiwan ‘88, environmental studies
- Graduate institution and degree: The University of Wisconsin-Madison ‘94, Ph.D. (environmental toxicology)
Cancer researcher focused on biochemical and molecular impacts of manmade compounds; author, multiple research articles in peer-reviewed journals; long-term substitute teacher, high school chemistry; instructor in oncology education to marketing consultants; journal reviewer; teaching assistant at UW-Madison; church volunteer; team leader of social services for residents in remote mountain villages in Taiwan.