Internships give students the chance for practical application of the concepts and theories they’ve learned in the classroom. They also offer chances for personal reflection, developing professional skills, networking, and investigating potential career fields. All Gender, Sexuality and Women’s Studies majors complete an internship as an integrated part of their senior capstone course, GEND-410 Internship & Seminar. GSW minors may also take this capstone course and complete the incorporated internship if they choose.
This internship course is usually taught every other spring, and students are assisted by the Director in being matched to an internship site based upon their career interests.
Please speak to the Director to discuss the agencies and organizations where students have interned in the past, and what site might be the best match for you.
Types of student internship sites include:
- Public service and not-for-profit organizations
- Political internships, at varying levels
- Advocacy and special interest groups
- Media organizations
- Business internships, including both the public and private sectors
- Government internships, at varying levels
Many students choose to supplement their academic studies with additional internships outside the University or by volunteering. University credit can often be obtained for additional/outside internships, and the department may grant up to three hours of academic credit for these experiences depending on the characteristics of the internships. For assistance in locating additional internships contact the John Carroll University Career Center, the Center for Service and Social Justice, and the GSW Program Director.
Some recent locations where students have volunteered or interned include:
- Cleveland Rape Crisis Center
- Domestic Violence and Child Advocacy Center
- Girl Scouts of Northeast Ohio
- LGBT Community Center of Greater Cleveland
- Northeast Reintegration Center
- Moms First, Department of Public Health
- Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence
- Renee Jones Empowerment Center
- Transitional Housing