Under the Supervision of the Department of Health Education & Promotion, the Healthy Streaker Peer Educator will:
- Maintain good judicial and academic standing with John Carroll University.
- Attend and complete an educational retreat each fall semester that they are a Healthy Streaker Peer Advisor.
- Research, develop, and execute interactive, positive, fun and non-judgmental programming for the JCU campus.
- Uphold standards of confidentiality befitting their role.
- Learn the basics of prevention, college wellness, the strategies for change in high-risk behaviors, and listening,
- responding, and referral skills.
- Create awareness of health topics affecting JCU students through such means as poster and social media
- campaigns, newsletters, Carroll News editorials, Public Service Announcements, one-on-one interactions, tabling
- at health education initiatives and general availability for program participation. Help students find long- term and appropriate on and off-campus resources to support healthy behaviors
- by making referrals of at-risk students to the appropriate professionals (Health Education, Residence Life,
- Counseling Center, Health Services, Violence Prevention Action Center, Campus Safety Services, etc.)
- Uphold standards of healthy living by (but not limited to) committing to:
- Avoiding underage alcohol consumption
- Avoiding illegal drug use
- Perpetuating a healthy body image
- Using appropriate gender expressions and identities and language choices as learned in training
- Recognizing the signs and symptoms of both healthy and unhealthy relationships
- Engaging in some type of stress-relief on a weekly basis
- Identifying the various campus resources addressing health-related issues (Counseling Center, VPAC, Health Center, etc)
A significant amount of time, effort, and commitment is expected of Healthy Streaker Peer Educators. This commitment
is composed of:
- Attendance at and enthusiastic, engaging and thoughtful participation in bi-weekly Healthy Streaker Peer Educator meetings.
- Willingness to promote events, raise awareness, and be a leader and role model on campus.
- Participating and organization of campus-wide programs related to health topics
- Attendance at an educational retreat and participation in future trainings for incoming Healthy Streaker Peer Health Educators.
- Providing information, resources, programming, peer advice and visibility to peers.
- Creating awareness of presence in Res Halls (where you live, how you can be accessed, what you do, what the Healthy Streaker Peer Educator program is, etc).
- Participating in Residence Life building and floor meetings.
- Attending programs developed by other building leaders (Residence Life, Health Education, Residence Ministers, etc.) when possible.
- Must be a full-time student at John Carroll University.
- Must maintain a 2.5 G.P.A.
- Must be able to commit 2 hours per week.
- Must be in good standing academically and judicially.
- Must have completed and passed AlcoholEdu.
- Be a role model for responsible and healthy lifestyle choices and enthusiastic about listening to peers and
offering advice on wellness issues and stress-relief .
- Must be non-judgmental, responsible, reliable, and act as a resource to students.
- Must possess strong verbal skills and the desire to interact with and present information to peers.
- Must demonstrate the ability to work with individuals and groups in a leadership capacity.