Interpersonal violence may include:

  • Stalking                                                                                                                                                                      
  • Relationship violence
  • Sexual violence ranging from rape, threats, offensive comments

Lack of consent is a critical factor in any sexual assault. Persons who engage in sexual conduct due to force, threats of force, or coercion have not consented to contact.

The University encourages those who have experienced interpersonal violence to report these incidents to the Interim Title IX Coordinator, Sherri Crahen, via phone at 216.397.4423 or by utilizing the online form found here. Or, by reporting to the JCUPD at 216.397.1234.

Title IX is part of  the 1972 re-authorization of the Higher Education Act and stipulates that “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving federal financial assistance.”

Students wishing to receive more information on reporting procedures and processes, and/or obtain resource/referral information are encouraged to contact the VPAC Program Coordinator during business hours via phone at 216.397.2175 or by submitting an appointment request here.

Helpful links:

Some things to consider:

  • Filing a report does not necessarily obligate the recipient of the behavior to pursue disciplinary and/or criminal charges.
  • There may be instances in which the University and/or law enforcement bodies pursue charges without the cooperation of the recipient of the behavior in order to ensure the safety of the community at large.
  • The recipient of the behavior is welcome to have a support person of their choice when meeting with the Title IX Coordinator or JCUPD to file a report.
  • The Cleveland Rape Crisis Center has a 24-hour Advocacy program to provide support and information at the police department (local municipality and/or JCUPD) and/or hospital.
  • To access information regarding advocacy programs both on and off campus, please contact VPAC’s 24-hour resource line at (216) 397-CALL (2255).