For current student veterans
As you prepare for each new semester, there are a few things you should remember.
- Has your adviser released you for class registration?
- Have you filled out the Online Certification Request to apply your G.I. Bill benefits?
At the beginning of each school year, you should also:
- Complete your FAFSA
- Review your financial aid award to determine what you want to accept/decline
What is included in your award?
- GRANTS & SCHOLARSHIPS
These types of awards come from sources including federal, state, and private organizations. They are free monies and do not require repayment.
Loans help manage the educational expenses, after all grant and scholarship awards have been determined, and they have to be repaid. For most federal loans, you will have a six-month grace period after you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment before repayment begins. The interest on these loans may be subsidized (does not accrue until enrollment ceases) or unsubsidized (begins accruing right away) by the government. You will only see Stafford and/or Perkins Loans awarded and listed on your financial aid award. Additional borrowing beyond Stafford loan options such as alternative student loans is a personal choice.
To accept your financial aid award…
- Go to www.jcu.edu/bannerweb and “Enter the Secure Area” by entering your Banner ID and PIN number.
- Access the “Student Financial Services” tab, and select “My Financial Aid Award”. Choose the correct Aid Year.
- Click on the “Terms and Conditions” tab to read and accept the terms and conditions of your award. You will not be able to view your award without completing this step.
- Select “Award and Messages”. You must accept or decline the loan and student employment portions of your award. These types of self-help are NOT required and do not automatically credit your student account.
- Choose ACCEPT or DECLINE for each fund. If you wish to accept only a partial amount of the offered aid, you can do this be entering a lesser amount desired in the “Accept Partial Amount” field. You should accept the amount you wish to borrow for the entire academic year (Fall and Spring).