Theology and religious studies majors typically are students who seek a very strong general background in religious studies either as their primary or secondary field of expertise. For instance, a major in theology and religious studies may serve as partial fulfillment of the requirement for the certification of elementary and high school teachers of religion in the Diocese of Cleveland.
Our alumni have gone on to careers in education, health and welfare ministries, social services, and business, among others.
To learn more about a Theology and Religious Studies major or minor, including classes you will take, visit John Carroll’s Undergraduate Bulletin.
- Undergraduate Comprehensive Exam (Next exam will take place on Friday, February 8, 2013.)
- Undergraduate Independent Study Form
- Fall 2012 Schedule
- Spring 2013 Schedule
RL101 plus 36 credit hours.
- RL200; 205; 220 or 228; 231 or 232 or 237; 250 or 252 or 253 or 254 or 255; 260 or 262 or 267.
- One additional course in world religions.
- One 300- or 400-level course in philosophical or systematic theology.
- One 300- or 400-level course in religious ethics.
- Two upper-division elective courses (6 cr.)
- RL493 Senior Seminar (3 cr.)
Note: At least three courses must be at the 400-level; one of these is RL493.
A comprehensive exam is required. (Seniors: The next comprehensive exam is scheduled for Friday, February 8, 2013.)