Joseph F. Kelly, Ph.D., Professor of History of Christianity in the Department of Theology and Religious Studies, was awarded a George E. Grauel Faculty Fellowship for Spring 2011.
Rev. Valentino Lassiter, Professor of African-American Christianity in the Department of Theology and Religious Studies, was inducted into Alpha Sigma Nu as an Honorary Member on Sunday, November 21, 2010.
Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D., Professor of Biblical Studies and Early Christianity in the Department of Theology and Religious Studies, was awarded a George E. Grauel Faculty Fellowship for Fall 2010.
Kathleen Peters, Ph.D., part-time professor in the Department of Theology and Religious Studies, was awarded a grant for the NEH Summer Seminar (July 1 – August 6, 2010 in Tunis, Tunisia) on “Saints Augustine and Perpetua: Autobiography in its North African Context.”
John R. Spencer, Ph.D., Professor of Biblical Studies, Archaeology, and Ancient Near East; and Chair of the Department of Theology and Religious Studies, has been elected to a three-year term as Vice-Chair of the Board of Directors of the Council of American Overseas Research Centers (CAORC — www.caorc.org). This organization fosters cooperation in activities, programs, fellowships, and funding of twenty-three non-governmental American research centers around the world. Dr. Spencer is the representative (and on the board) of the W.F. Albright Institute of Archaeological Research (in Jerusalem — www.aiar.org), one of the American centers.
Lectures and Presentations
Paul K. Nietupski, Ph.D.: “Buddhists and Muslims at Labrang: Conflict and Compromise,” in the panel titled “Tibetan-Muslim Relations in Amdo, Past and Present.” 12th Seminar of the International Association for Tibetan Studies, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, 15-21 August 2010.
Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.:
- “The New Testament as a Resource for Contemporary Catholic Ethics.” Lecture-workshop for the Pastoral Ministry Training Program of the Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; 28 October 2010.
- “Freedom of and for Religion in Malaysia and the United States.” Conversation with research fellows of the International Institute of Advanced Islamic Studies, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia; 26 October 2010.
- “Muslim-Christian Relations in Malaysia.” Discussion with the Turkish Muslim Association of Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur; 23 October 2010.
- “Engaging the Bible in Our Broken World: Conversations with Sheila McGinn.” Two-lecture series for the Luther Centre, Petaling Jaya, Malaysia; 17 and 24 October 2010.
- “The Kingdom of God and Contemporary Politics.” Presentation to the National Evangelical Christian Fellowship (NECF) Malaysia, Petaling Jaya; 16 October 2010.
- “New Testament Christian Ethics.” Two-week seminar at the Alpha Omega International College in Petaling Jaya, Malaysia; 11–23 October 2010.
- “The Evolution of the Apostles Creed: The Symbol of Faith.” Two-lecture series for St. Brendan Catholic Church, North Olmsted, Ohio; 2 and 4 October 2010.
Joseph F. Kelly, Ph. D.: “Scholarly Update: Mission in Early Christianity,” Liturgical Ministry 18 (2009): 153-160.
Paul Lauritzen, Ph.D.: “Technology and Wholeness: Oncofertility and Catholic Tradition,” Oncofertility; Springer, 2010.
Sheila E. McGinn, Ph.D.: Rev. of Andrie Du Toit, Focusing on Paul: Persuasion and Theological Design in Romans and Galatians. Edited by Cilliers Breytenbach and David S. Du Toit. Beihefte zur Zeitschrift für die neutestamentliche Wissenschaft und die Kunde der älteren Kirche 151; Berlin: Walter de Gruyter, 2007. Review of Biblical Literature [http://www.bookreviews.org] (published 6 Feb 2010); http://www.bookreviews.org/pdf/6821_7391.pdf.
Paul K. Nietupski, Ph.D.:
- “The Fourth Belmang: Bodhisattva, Estate Lord, Tibetan Militia Leader, and Chinese Government Official,” in Asian Highlands Perspectives 1 (2009): 187-212.
- Gunaprabhas Vinayasutra Corpus: Texts and Contexts, Journal of the InternationalAssociation of Tibetan Studies 5 (December 2009): 1-17. http://www.thlib.org?tid.
- “Nationalism in Labrang, Amdo: Apa Alo/Huang Zhengqing,” in Studies in the History of Eastern Tibet, Edited by Wim van Spengen & Lama Jabb (Proceedings of the Eleventh Seminar of the International Association for Tibetan Studies. Königswinter 2006):179-208. Halle: International Institute for Tibetan and Buddhist Studies GmbH, 2010.