We’re so excited to hear of your interest in becoming a tour guide for the Office of Admission! There is usually significant interest in the tour guide position, and we are faced with difficult hiring decisions year after year. It is important for you to understand the process before applying. Please read the information below.
- You will not be able to revisit the application if you leave the website before completing the entire application.
- On page 2 of the application, you will be asked to upload a recent photo of yourself. This photo is a part of your official application and therefore must only contain you; please crop the photo if necessary.
- NOTE: Your photo is not an evaluative factor of your application.
- On page 3 of the application, you will be asked to list any activities or organizations in which you currently take part, as well as any leadership roles you have on campus.
- On page 5 of the application, you will be asked to select your strongest skill, ability, or quality from a given list and briefly explain why.
- On page 6 of the application, you will be asked to respond to three (3) short answer questions (responses are limited to 250 words) that all pertain to the same statement: “Tour guides will be professional, mature, and hospitable representatives of the institution.”
- What does this statement mean to you?
- What are some tangible ways this can be shown?
- What qualities, characteristics, and/or skills do you possess that would allow you to live out this goal?
- Also on page 6, you will be asked to respond to two (2) essay prompts. Each essay must be between 250-650 words. It may be helpful to type your responses in advance in another format, and then paste your answers into the application. Essay questions are:
- Discuss how you have grown intellectually, socially, or spiritually during the course of your time at John Carroll.
- If you had the opportunity to plan the “perfect” campus visit experience for a prospective student, what does it look like? What do they see or do? With whom do they meet?
- On page 7, you will be asked if you have violated the student code of conduct at John Carroll University. Having been found in violation does not necessarily exclude you from consideration. You will, however, be asked in this application what you were found responsible for and what you have learned from the experience.
- NOTE: Candidates may be subject to a criminal background check prior to employment.
- The tour guide application must be completed online by the end of the day on Monday, March 16, 2015.
- You will be asked to identify one faculty member or full-time staff member to serve as a reference for you. It is important to contact this individual alerting him/her of your intent to apply, as an email will automatically be generated to him/her upon the submission of your tour guide application.
- Employees of the Office of Admission are unable to serve as references.
- The reference form shall be completed by 5 p.m. on Thursday, March 19, 2015.
- For those chosen to move forward in the process, we will hold interviews during on Saturday, April 11, 2015, between 9 a.m.-6 p.m. While we expect to conduct a majority of the interviews on this day, we realize that some finalists will not be available due to their participation in the Manresa Retreat or other special circumstances; we will schedule those interviews at an alternative time on a case-by-case basis.
- While you are asked on the application if you are available for Interview Day, your response will not affect the committee’s decision whether or not to move you on to the next step in the selection process.
Class of 2019 Celebration
- While not required, we strongly encourage all applicants for a tour guide position to volunteer for our Class of 2019 Accepted Student Celebration on Saturday, March 28. This is the Office of Admission’s biggest event of the year when we welcome more than 1,000 people to campus. Volunteers are asked to be available for the whole day (7 a.m.-3 p.m. or 8 a.m.-4 p.m.), and you will receive a free t-shirt as well as breakfast and lunch. It’s a great way to meet some prospective students and their families, and get a taste of what life is like as a tour guide. There are limited volunteer spots available. The volunteer registration form will be open until February 22 or until volunteer spots are filled, whichever comes first.
- All volunteer spots have been filled at this time.
- We must take into consideration some demographic criteria – including graduation year, major, and hometown – when making hiring decisions so that we have a balanced staff.
- Those chosen to interview will be notified on or before Wednesday, April 8, 2015.
- We hope to have all interviews concluded and final decisions made on or before Tuesday, April 28, 2015.
Ready to Apply?
- The application deadline has now passed.