STUDENT LIFE INITIATIVES:
- Community Garden behind University Counseling Center supports local food pantry (sponsored by Center for Service & Social Action)
- Spring 2012: “Don’t Throw it away…Give it away!” during Residence Hall move-out: 365 pounds of food donated to the Cleveland food Bank and 15 boxes (clothes, toiletries, supplies & appliances) donated to Goodwill Industries.
- Residence halls equipped with recycling containers in every dorm room, with students actively participating in recycling initiatives.
- New John Carroll Clothes Closet for recycling of gently used clothes.
- 2nd Water Bottle refill station added in the O’Malley Center
2012 IRN Surplus Reuse Program Donations:
- 188 pieces, equaling 9.8915 tons, of resident hall furniture was collected and shipped to development and relief efforts in Santa Domingo, Dominican Republic.
- 55 pieces, equaling 5.369 tons, of residential furniture was collected ans shipped to development and relief efforts in Santa Rosario, Guatemala.
- Learn more about IRN here, or check out an informative Youtube video here.
STUDENT GROUPS AT JCU:
- Environmental Issues Group/Recycling Committee: On-campus recycling initiative, Student Bike Co-Op, Green Streak Week