The Environmental Issues Group (EIG) and Recycling Committee (RC) have had a great Fall 2013 semester. EIG & RC have met almost every Wednesday at 2 PM in DE 228 and have been involved in the following initiatives:
- · Reviving the Bike Co-op program- this program allows students to check out a bike from the rec. desk through the combined efforts of EIG and the Department of Recreation.
- · Biking to the Farmer’s Market- with this event, EIG took 8 people to the North Union Farmer’s Market in Shaker Square to support local growers and sustainability.
- · Working with Environment Ohio- in teaming up with this program, EIG got over 200 students on campus to sign postcard petitions asking Senator Sherrod Brown to support federally limiting carbon emissions.
- · Increasing the amount of recycling bins on campus- RC placed recycling bins in all classrooms and worked with the Department of Recreation to put a recycling bin in the Corbo Fitness Center.
- · Playing recycling awareness games – RC taught students about recycling on campus with games, such as guessing the number of plastic bottles in a recycling bin for the chance to win a $25 gift card to Chipotle.
- · Celebrating America Recycles Day- EIG and RC ran programming in the atrium where we worked with students to develop individual recycling pledges. To start the pledgers off, they all received pens made out of recycled water bottles and stickers promoting recycling.
Anyone interested in EIG & RC and their events are more than welcome to join! Come help out and/or share your input and ideas! Plans for the Spring 2014 semester include:
- · Several beach cleanups through a partnership with the Alliance for the Great Lakes’ “Adopt a Beach” program
- · A weeklong sustainability awareness week called “Green Streak Week”
- · Earth Day programming
- · A landscaping project/garden on campus
For questions/concerns or to sign up for the email list featuring the latest updates and meeting days, please contact EIG & RC’s co-presidents:
Nicolle Simonovic (email@example.com), Andras Ponti (firstname.lastname@example.org)