In order to gain recognition, groups must meet the following criteria:
- The mission of the student organization must reflect the values and mission of John Carroll University.
- The services and activities offered by the organization must be directly related to the organization’s mission and must comply with the policies and procedures of the Student Union, Office of Student Activities, and those in the JCU Community Standards Manual.
- The mission, services, and activities of the organization should be different from any other already-existing student organization.
- Each student organization must have an advisor who is a full-time member of the JCU faculty, staff, or administration.
- Each student organization must have active members and a solid leadership structure, including a president and a financial officer.