What is it?
Project Citizen is a tutoring program that brings JCU tutors into high school classrooms in Cleveland and East Cleveland to educate students about citizenship and justice. Falling under the We the People service learning program, Project Citizen tutors help facilitate research and prepare students for a Showcase Event in the spring. Tutors try to stay with the same classroom for the entire academic year. JCU partners with the Ohio Center for Law Related Education who provides the material for this program.
How does it work?
JCU tutors, in teams of three or four, go to their designated classroom weekly to teach lessons based on the Project Citizen textbook. Tutors meet with their teams weekly and submit lesson plans. The student coordinator for the program provides lesson plan ideas each month and the WTP staff supports teams by helping them shape the lessons. Textbooks are signed out to PC teams for each semester they are involved in the program to help them prepare the lessons.
JCU tutors assist in preparing the students for the Project Citizen Showcase Event held at John Carroll each spring. High school students focus on one community problem that they would like to see changed. At the Showcase Event, these teams present the background of the problem, along with their proposed policy changes. Judges, (including local leaders, police officers, lawyers, and community members) score the teams’ presentations and give them feedback. An awards ceremony, including lunch, follows the competition.
How do I get involved?
- Email email@example.com to become a prospective tutor.
- Visit our service activities page on the CSSA website to see if any of the high school classrooms fit your schedule.
- Attend the informational sessions or call the Center for Service and Social Action at 397-4698 or visit us in AD 32 (down the hall from Einsteins in the Admin Bldg) to sign up for a team and a classroom.
- Ask your professors if this service will fulfill a service-learning requirement.
- And get ready to connect with kids who are ready to connect with you!