Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. -Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Students for Social Justice is a student organization whose purpose is a commitment to two interrelated values of John Carroll’s mission: intellectual inquiry that demands critical thinking, and engaging in social justice and community service that leads to social action.
This network of people passionate about different issues of social justice is seeking students who are willing to work toward developing the John Carroll community’s awareness of social justice issues and to foster action and advocacy.
Meetings are the third Tuesday of the month from 8-9 p.m. in the Jardine Room. Students for Social Justice committees focus on several advocacy issues, raising awareness, hosting events, and contributing to the campus’ involvement with these issues of social justice:
- CARING FOR KIDS is responsible for on-campus events geared toward children including Danie’s Day and Through the Eyes of a Child.
- FAIR TRADE raises awareness and encourages the campus community to use fair trade certified products; recently helped make John Carroll a registered Fair Trade University & presented at the 2014 Ohio Fair Trade Expo; sponsors fair trade sales and the annual Gifts that Give Twice holiday sale.
- HEALTH AND WELLNESS advocates for issues regarding health and well-being through events that include the Fatima Family Center Thanksgiving Food Drive and AIDS Awareness.
- HUMAN TRAFFICKING works to familiarize students with the issues of human trafficking and modern slavery, both domestically and abroad.
- OXFAM @ JCU focuses on advocacy for poverty and injustice; organizes campaigns for change including Oxfam America’s Beyond the Brands Campaign.
- WORKERS’ RIGHTS works to create equitable, sustainable, and empowering workplace relations by establishing a framework in support of just employment standards and by encouraging campus employers to formalize their commitment to protecting the rights of workers.
- WRONGFUL CONVICTION advocates for the removal of the individual and systematic harms caused by wrongful convictions through careful examination within the law that will safeguard against wrongful convictions in the future.
- PUBLIC RELATIONS oversees organization’s interactions with both the student body and the general public, including marketing and publicity concerns for each of the committees.