The Northeast Ohio Fair Trade Network is seeking student volunteer marketing interns to help organize and promote the Ohio Fair Trade Expo which will be held at John Carroll University along with other IRTF sponsored events.
Summer: May 15
Fall: August 1
Most of the work will be done from the IRTF office. Other work can be done at JCU.
IRTF: InterReligious Task Force on Central America, 3606 Bridge Ave, Cleveland 44113
This is a volunteer internship. But, we will give you lots of food (lunch included everyday) and freebies!
Ohio Fair Trade Expo:
The student intern will work with the Ohio Fair Trade Expo Planning Team, which consists of members of the NE Ohio Fair Trade Network (i.e., fair trade nonprofits, retailers, students, and fair trade consumers). The purpose for having a student intern to work on the Ohio Fair Trade Expo is to provide learning opportunities (event planning, marketing, fair trade principles and markets) and to generate more publicity and recruiting for the event. The student intern’s participation in the Expo should also help build momentum around fair trade on the JCU campus since engaging students in issues of economic justice can be more effective when coming from a peer. The intern will be able to reach out to students to discuss fair trade and use the Expo as a starting point or rallying point for fair trade on campus.
InterReligious Task Force on Central America:
The student intern will work with IRTF on various events that are being held and sponsored by the organization. The purpose for having a student intern to work on IRTF events is to provide learning opportunities (event planning, marketing, promotions, and markets) and to generate more publicity and recruiting for events. The student intern will be expected to help marketing large IRTF events like the SOA trip in November along with the Commemoration and other various events that occur in the fall.
Responsibilities for both include:
- Participate in the Ohio Fair Trade Expo Planning Team and attending planning team meetings (Usually once every two weeks in the evening)
- Assist in designing and making contacts for a workshop or other student-focused component for the day
- Promote events to high school, college, and university campuses
- Promote events to faith congregations throughout Ohio
- Promote the Expo to fair trade organizations and retailers throughout Ohio
- At JCU: participate in coordinating the on-campus logistics for the event on Oct 25
- Creating flyers, advertisements, and promotional mailing material
- Writing press releases and articles to send to local media outlets
- Updating contact lists for local churches, high schools, and universities
- Manage social media efforts like Facebook and Twitter accounts
- Assist with large mailings to IRTF donors
- Creating newsletters
- Other responsibilities as needed
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and other programs.
- Creativity skills and ability to think out-of-the-box.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work well with others.
- Ability to be flexible.
- Great organizational and time management skills.
- Access to and familiarity with Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator) is a plus!
- Passion for social justice is always a plus!
If interested, contact: Chrissy Stonebraker at 216.961.0003 or Chrissy@irtfcleveland.org.