Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. -Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Students for Social Justice is a student organization whose purpose is a commitment to two interrelated values of John Carroll’s mission: intellectual inquiry that demands critical thinking, and engaging in social justice and community service that leads to social action.
This network of people passionate about different issues of social justice is seeking students who are willing to work toward developing the John Carroll community’s awareness of social justice issues and to foster action and advocacy.
Meetings are the third Tuesday of the month from 8-9 p.m. in the Jardine Room. Students for Social Justice committees focus on several advocacy issues, raising awareness, hosting events, and contributing to the campus’ involvement with these issues of social justice:
- Caring for Kids: Educate and advocate for children’s issues, including Danie’s Day and Through the Eyes of a Child.
- Fair Trade: Raise awareness and encourage the campus community to use fair trade certified products. Sponsor events including Fair Trade Fridays, Gifts that Give Twice, and Fair Trade Awareness Week.
- Health and Wellness: Educate and advocate for issues regarding health and well-being, particularly AIDS Awareness.
- Human Trafficking: Work to familiarize students with the issues of human trafficking and modern day slavery, both domestically and abroad.
- Oxfam Hunger Awareness: Focus on issues of hunger and food-based needs, and organize events including the Beyond the Brands Campaign, Make a Difference Day, and the Fatima Family Center Thanksgiving Food Drive.
- Workers’ Rights: Work to create equitable, sustainable, and empowering workplace relations by establishing a framework in support of just employment s standards and by encouraging campus employers to formalize their commitment to protecting the rights of workers.
- Wrongful Conviction: Advocate for the removal of the individual and systematic harms caused by wrongful convictions through careful examination within the law that will safeguard against wrongful convictions in the future.