St. Edmund Campion Service Award
The George B. Sweeney Endowed Campion Award is a one-year, $1,000 award to educate promising student leaders in social policy analysis in a faith perspective. The Center for Service and Social Action will be responsible for administering up to $500 additional funds to each award recipient for materials, printing, etc. associated with a student’s proposal for a campus/community-based service project.
Campion Awards are available to full-time, enrolled, second and third year students who are in good academic standing (a GPA of 2.0 or higher). All candidates meeting the required conditions of the award, in good academic and University standing, are eligible for consideration. This award is not renewable.
NOTE: The award is not intended to reduce existing institutional aid already awarded. However, if the student is a recipient of Federal funds, regulations may require John Carroll University to alter a student’s self-help aid such as loans or work study. In rare cases, student aid may be limited to the total cost of education.
Candidates should have a strong background in the following (1) record of involvement in community service and social action, (2) involvement/dedication to a faith tradition and/or spirituality, and (3) strong evidence of leadership potential.
Selection process: Current full-time JCU students who are of sophomore or junior status are eligible to apply. Awardees will be selected by a committee composed of the Director of the Center for Service and Social Action and other JCU faculty, staff, and administrators.
Applicants will be evaluated on:
- Demonstrated commitment to service and social action
- Involvement in/dedication to a faith tradition and/or spirituality
- Leadership ability/potential
- Sophomore (having completed 25-54 hours and are in their third semester or more at JCU) or Junior (having completed 55-85 hours) in good academic standing
- Letters of recommendation from two references
- Complete the application form.
- Provide two references who have knowledge of your service activities. Those references should be full-time JCU faculty, staff or administrators, and/or people who are familiar with your leadership role in a campus or community organization. Fellow students may NOT serve as references. Please distribute this reference form to these individuals and provide their information below. Please have letters sent directly to Dr. Peggy Finucane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Letters of support from agency-based service supervisors are appreciated, but not necessary. Please ask the supervisor to send the recommendation directly to Dr. Peggy Finucane at email@example.com.