The Center for Service and Social Action seeks to educate for justice by offering opportunities for learning through service. Growing from a rich Catholic intellectual tradition, we promote service that inspires a deeper commitment to those most in need. The Center connects the campus with the community through sustained partnerships that enable John Carroll community members to become “men and women for and with others.”
- Strive to promote academic excellence through service-learning.
- Encourage deliberation to challenge uncritical assumptions about the lives of others, especially the poor.
- Promote reflection among people of all faiths, agnostics, and atheists on the meaning of service in their lives.
- Engage service participants in advocacy work that aids in developing solidarity.
- Seek to create a genuine understanding of others’ experiences through significant, ongoing personal interactions.
- Develop an awareness of one’s civic responsibility.
- Encourage work that advances the promotion of justice and social action.
- Encourage participants to reflect on how their service experience informs their vocation.
- Cultivate a culture of service among the members of the John Carroll University community.