Communication Honor Society
Eta Eta is the John Carroll chapter of Lambda Pi Eta. Lambda Pi Eta is the official communication students honorary of the National Communication Association (NCA) and is an accredited member of the Association of College Honor Societies.
Lambda Pi Eta represents what Aristotle described in his book, Rhetoric, as the three ingredients of persuasion: Logos (Lambda) meaning logic, Pathos (Pi) relating to emotion, and Ethos (Eta) defined as character, credibility and ethics.
The goals of Lambda Pi Eta are to:
- Recognize, foster and reward outstanding scholastic achievement.
- Stimulate interest in the field of communication.
- Promote and encourage professional development among communication majors.
- Provide an opportunity to discuss and exchange ideas about the field.
- Establish and maintain close relationships and understanding between faculty and students.
- Explore options for further graduate studies.
To be eligible for membership in Eta Eta, the JCU chapter, students must have:
- Completed at least 60 hours
- Declare as a Communication major
- Have at least 12 hours in communications, Earned a G.P.A. of at least 3.25 in communications, and
- Be in the top 35% of their class
Eta Eta sponsors many events during the academic year. For more information on upcoming events, please email the faculty advisor, Jacqueline J. Schmidt, Ph.D.
Alpha Psi Omega, National Theatre Honor Society
John Carroll hosts the Mu Theta chapter of Alpha Psi Omega, a nationally recognized fraternity for theatre. Alpha Psi Omega was founded in 1925.
Throughout the country, Alpha Psi Omega has sponsored the formation of theatre honor societies in high schools and junior colleges, with the aim of encouraging dramatic production at every step in a person’s academic career.
Alpha Psi Omega has enjoyed continuous national growth and, with over 600 chapters, is the largest national honor society in America. Colleges and universities of recognized standing, having an established theatre program or theatre club for the purpose of producing plays, will be eligible for membership.