Talk with many professionals in the media fields and you will repeatedly hear that writing got them their first job or is still a key part of their work. If you’re interested in learning more about media writing in addition to your major, this focus may be for you. Open only to majors; may combine courses from different tracks.
This focus will help you learn about the demands and opportunities of writing in the media fields and will prepare you for work in radio, television, film, the Internet and other media situations.
All of the following courses (12 credit hours)–
225. JOURNALISM (3 cr.)
395. PLAYWRITING (3 cr.) Prerequisite: permission of instructor.
396. SCREENWRITING (3 cr.) Prerequisite: permission of instructor.
397. WRITING FOR TELEVISION, RADIO AND NEW MEDIA
One of the following courses (3 credit hours)—
308. LITERARY JOURNALISM (3 cr.) Prerequisite: CO 225.
389. SOCIAL ISSUES JOURNALISM (3 cr.) Prerequisite: CO 225.
407. CREATING FOR INTEGRATED MARKETING COMMUNICATION (3 cr.)
Prerequisite: CO 315.
455. HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENTAL WRITING (3 cr.) Prerequisite: A laboratory science course and EN103 and EN111, OR EN111 and EN112, OR EN 114 and EN116.