The Tim Russert Department of Communication and Theatre is dedicated to providing students with the theory and practice that will allow them to flourish in today’s convergent communication environment.
The major provides opportunities to develop leadership, advocacy, critical thinking, and communication excellence in writing, speaking, and performing. While pursuing the Communication major in the Tim Russert Department of Communication and Theatre, students select one of three tracks that include Communication Studies, Digital Media, Integrated Marketing Communication. Every major in the Russert Department should be able to communicate effectively through a variety of perspectives.
According to an alumni survey, 40% of the respondents felt the breadth and depth of the Communication and Theatre major was the most valuable aspect.
Graduates of the department have the knowledge and ability to:
- Create, present, and advocate ethical messages in a variety of communication forms for diverse audiences
- Evaluate message effectiveness and ethics
- Analyze how audiences receive, interpret, and react to messages
- Apply communication theories and perspectives to specific contexts
- Implement a research methodology appropriate to their area of study
For more detailed course descriptions, visit John Carroll’s Undergraduate Bulletin.