Theme: Fathers and Lessons of Life

Although it would seem easy to choose a political theme for this contest in the year of a Presidential election, the theme will reflect the person of Tim Russert rather than his career. In his first book, Big Russ & Me, he says: “I hope this book will encourage readers to think about things they learned from their father. … Whatever we achieve and whoever we are, we stand on their shoulders… Hardly a day goes by when I don’t remember to rely on something Big Russ taught me.”

In an interview in Parade Magazine in 2011, Luke Russert said about his Father: “He was not only my best friend, but my compass. While he was alive, he guided me with his actions and advice. Since he’s been gone, those “lessons of life,” as he once called them, have continued to give me counsel and comfort.”

The first annual Tim Russert Department of Communication and Theatre Arts Photo Contest winners were announced on Monday, April 23, 2012 at 5 pm in the O’Malley Center. A reception was held in order to honor the winners and honorable mentions, including:

First Place:
Antoinette Williams – “Raise Him to Rise”

Second Place:
Vicky Roethel – “Fathers Help Reach Things We Can’t”

Third Place:
Camille Tarver – “Swing, Swing!!”

Honorable Mentions:

Kara Simon – “Her Father Taught Her Not to be a Princess, but a Queen”

Katie Warner – “Excitement”

Kathleen Fraser – “Filling My Father’s Shadow”
(photo unavailable)

All Entries