Murphy Hall: Established in 1964, Murphy Hall is named after Rev. William J. Murphy, S.J. In 1936, he was appointed faculty moderator of athletics. By 1941, his eleventh year at John Carroll, he was moderator of the band, prefect of Bernet Hall, moderator of the Carroll Union, and Dean of Men. In spite of all his duties he still found time to play the violin. In 1964, Murphy Hall allowed 400 sophomore and junior men to live on campus instead of in homes in University Heights. It included a small chapel, main parlor, recreation and television room, laundry and storage areas for all residents, as well as nine suites for counselors and a chaplain. It was the fourth major addition and the largest to John Carroll since 1957. Murphy Hall brought the total of students residing at John Carroll to just over 1,000. In the fall of 1969, 48 rooms were set-aside for women to live in. This was the first co-ed residence hall. It was dedicated on October 10, 1964.
For 2013-2014, John Carroll University is planning a renovation project that will modernize and transform Murphy Hall. For information on the Murphy Hall renovation project, click here.