What should I do if I am a current First Year Student?
John Carroll University has a 2-year residency requirement. You are required to live on campus during your sophomore year unless you are commuting from home (defined as living exclusively in the permanent and primary residence of a parent or legal guardian). Because of the residency requirement you are also guaranteed a space on campus for the 2014-2015 academic year. If you are currently living on campus, but plan to commute from home during your sophomore year, you must do the following by March 10, 2014:
- Complete a “Request for Release” form.
- Submit a notarized or certified letter from a parent/guardian with a signature and contact information stating that you will be commuting from home.
What should I do if I am a current Sophomore, Junior, or Returning Senior?
Housing is not guaranteed after your first two years. Housing options will be available, but it is not guaranteed, If you plan to participate in the Housing Selection Process, you must complete the Apply On-Line process by March 10, 2014. Please note: Accepting the Housing Agreement does not guarantee you space in on-campus housing. If at the end of the Housing Selection Process, you are not able to select a room because space is not available, the following will happen:
- You may choose to be placed on a waiting list in the event vacancies occur at a later date.
- The Office of Residence Life will provide you with contact information and resources about local off-campus housing options.
- The Housing Agreement becomes legally binding once you select and/or are assigned a living space on-campus, therefore, if housing is not available, you will not be held to the contract. However, if space (even if it is not your first choice space) is available you must select a room and you will be held to the entirety of the Housing Agreement.
How do I determine my class status?
Where can I live next year?
- Bernet Hall (1st and 3rd Floors)
- Hamlin Hall (Greek Communities)
- Murphy Hall
- JCU Duplexes
- JCU Houses
Do I need a roommate?
If your are looking for a roommate, please attend a Roommate Matching Event:
- For current First Year Students: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 at 7 PM in the Sutowski Hall Lobby
- For current Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at 7 PM in the Millor Hall Lobby
Also, be sure to come to the Office of Residence Life to review and place your name in the Roommate Finder Binder.
What if I plan to study abroad during 2014-2015?
Residence Life will not be placing a hold on rooms for those studying abroad. If you are going to be abroad during the 2014 Fall semester and would like to return to housing for the Spring 2015 semester, please do the following:
- Do not accept the On-Line Housing Agreement. You will sign the agreement once you have been assigned a space for the 2015 Spring semester.
- Sign up for the waiting list for the 2015 Spring semester housing or,
- Let the Office of Residence Life know if you have made plans to take the place of a student who plans to study abroad or intern during the 2015 Spring semester.
- For either option, contact the Office of Residence Life
Should I have a back-up plan if I plan on living in a single, suite, duplex, or house?
Can I change my room after the process?
What should I do if I plan on living on a Greek floor?
If you are living on a Greek floor it is important that you follow the instructions shared by your chapters housing coordinator. If you have questions about living on a Greek floor, see the Greek Housing Coordinator.
What should I do if I was selected as an Alternate for the RA position?
You should go through the room selection process. If you are selected and accept the RA position after the Housing Selection Process is completed, we will work with your roommate to fill the vacancy in your room.
What Halls are open during the breaks?
All residence halls will be open during the Fall, Thanksgiving, Spring, and Easter break periods. Registration is required, but there is no additional cost. All residence halls will close for Winter Break. Limited housing will be available for an additional cost. The houses and duplexes do not close for any of the breaks, including Winter break.
What if I want to see the different living options?
There will be several chances to participate in tours of Millor Hall, Bernet Hall, and the new Murphy Hall leaving from the Student Center Atrium.
- Tuesday, February 25, 2014 from 4 PM to 5 PM
- Wednesday, February 26, 2014 from 4 PM to 5 PM
- Tuesday, March 11, 2014 from 4 PM to 5 PM
- Wednesday, March 12, 2014 from 4 PM to 5 PM
Please contact your Area Coordinator or the Office of Residence Life at (216) 397-4408 or firstname.lastname@example.org