JCU IRB Forms
Even if you have submitted an application to the IRB in the past, please download a NEW form, template, or guideline with each new application. Our forms and other documents are often modified and updated as needed to comply with federal regulations and best practices.
New for 2018-2019 Academic Year: The Electronic IRB Application Form:
Beginning in the Fall of 2018, investigators will have the option of using the new electronic IRB application that uses Adobe PDF forms.
- Paper printouts are no longer needed, and all supporting documents can be attached electronically to a PDF.
- Users must use Adobe Reader, version 10 or better, which is available as a free download for both Windows and Mac users.
- Handwritten signatures are no longer required, but student researchers and external investigators must collect a digital signature from their faculty/staff advisor or sponsor. Instructions for signing with a digital signature are provided at the end of the application form.
- Research teams (co-investigators) can share and edit the form amongst themselves by attaching to emails.
- Each co-investigator must provide their name, contact information, and initials, but no signature.
- The Principal Investigator (PI) is responsible for electronically submitting the fully completed form.
- The PI is ultimately responsible for conducting the approved protocol and reporting any deviations.
Download the NEW Application here:
Electronic IRB Application Form
Instructions for downloading and submitting the Electronic IRB Application form are found here:
Electronic Submission Directions
A line-by-line tutorial for completing the New Electronic IRB Application form is found here:
IRB Form Tutorial [still under construction]
- IMPORTANT! Before you begin, download the form to your computer. It will be a PDF.
- Open the blank form in Adobe Reader, version 10 or better. Need Adobe Reader? Download it here: https://get.adobe.com/reader
- If you are using a JCU-owned desktop computer, you will have to get the ITS HelpDesk (x3005, HelpDesk@jcu.edu) to load Adobe Reader. (They said they’d be happy to!)
- Using “Save As”, please give your application a unique name using the Principal Investigator’s name such as EmmaResearcher IRB Application.pdf. Unacceptable file names are: PS301 Project.pdf , Honors Thesis.pdf, or IRB Application.pdf
- Always open, edit, and save your form in Adobe Reader. We have found that other PDF viewers are unreliable.
- Supporting documents can be attached in .doc, .pdf, .jpg, or any other common file format.
- The PI can submit the completed form in one of two equivalent ways:
- The PI can click the purple button at the top of the page:
- The completed PDF can be attached to an email sent to IRB@jcu.edu
The IRB Office welcomes all feedback about this new form! Please contact Carole Krus at email@example.com or x1527 in AD250 if you have any questions, problems, or comments! We appreciate brave users trying out our new application format. Thank you!
The JCU “Classic” IRB paper forms:
If you have applied to the JCU IRB in the past, these are the forms you are probably most familiar with. They are Microsoft Word documents that you can download, complete, sign, and submit in paper form. All Classic IRB Forms can be hand-delivered or sent via campus or regular U.S. mail to the IRB Office located in AD 250. For help completing the IRB application form, see the IRB Administrator.
- IRB Application for Human Participant Research (UPDATED April, 2018)
- IRB Revision Form
- IRB Continuation Form (UPDATED April, 2018)
Templates: JCU Sample Consent/Assent Documents
- JCU Adult Consent – Sample
- JCU Parental Consent – Sample
- JCU Child Minor Assent – Sample
- JCU Child Oral Assent – Sample
- JCU Study Information Sheet – Sample
JCU IRB Guidance & Policy
- Completing the “Classic” IRB Application
- Guide for Psych Pool Studies
- Filing a Revision Request
- Sample Psych Pool Application (updated January 2017)
- Continuing Review
- John Carroll University IRB Policy (updated March 2018)
- Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP) website
- 45 CFR 46 (AKA “The Federal Regulations”)
- CITI Training
- IRB Historical Timeline