JCU IRB Forms
Even if you have submitted an application to the IRB in the past, please download a NEW form, template, or guideline with each new application. Our forms and other documents are often modified and updated as needed to comply with federal regulations and best practices.
New for 2018-2019 Academic Year: The Electronic IRB Application Form:
IMPORTANT! Users must use Adobe Acrobat Reader whenever they read, edit, or submit this form!
Download the Application here: Electronic IRB Application Form for Download
Instructions for downloading and submitting the Electronic IRB Application form are found here:
Electronic Submission Directions
- IMPORTANT! Before you begin, download and SAVE the form to your computer. It will be a PDF.
- Open the blank form in Adobe Acrobat Reader. Need Adobe Reader? Download it here: https://get.adobe.com/reader
- If you are using a JCU-owned desktop computer, Adobe Acrobat Reader can be found under the Start Menu.
- Using “Save As”, please give your application a unique name using the Principal Investigator’s name such as EmmaResearcher IRB Application.pdf.
- Always open, edit, and save your form in Adobe Reader. We have found that other PDF viewers do not work and will corrupt your file.
- Supporting documents can be attached in .doc, .pdf, .jpg, or any other common file format.
- The PI can submit the completed form in one of two equivalent ways:
- The PI can click the purple button at the top of the page:
- The completed PDF can be attached to an email sent to IRB@jcu.edu
A line-by-line tutorial for completing the New Electronic IRB Application form is found here: IRB Form Tutorial [still under construction]
The JCU “Classic” IRB paper forms:
If you have applied to the JCU IRB in the past, these are the forms you are probably most familiar with. They are Microsoft Word documents that you can download, complete, sign, and submit in paper form. All Classic IRB Forms can be hand-delivered or sent via campus or regular U.S. mail to the IRB Office located in AD 250. For help completing the IRB application form, see the IRB Administrator.
- IRB Application for Human Participant Research (UPDATED April 2018)
- Guidance document for completing the “Classic” paper application: Completing the “Classic” IRB Application
Other IRB Forms:
- IRB Revision Request Form (MS Word Document)
- Guidance for completing the Revision Request Form: Filing a Revision Request
- IRB Continuation Form (MS Word Document) (UPDATED April 2018)
- Guidance for Continuing Review: Continuing Review
Templates: JCU Sample Consent/Assent Documents
- JCU Adult Consent – Sample
- JCU Parental Consent – Sample
- JCU Child Minor Assent – Sample
- JCU Child Oral Assent – Sample
- JCU Study Information Sheet – Sample
JCU IRB Guidance & Policy
- John Carroll University IRB Policy (updated March 2018)
- Guide for Psych Pool Studies
- Sample Psych Pool Application (updated January 2017)
- Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP) website
- 45 CFR 46 (AKA “The Federal Regulations”)
- CITI Training
- IRB Historical Timeline