Information for Parents:

Am I able to access the JCU financial and academic records of my son or daughter?
In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), once a student is 18 years old or is enrolled in college, certain information is protected and can only be released with the student’s authorization. At JCU we have Web4Parent which offers students the ability to provide online access to this information for their parents.

How do I know if my son or daughter has authorized me to access his or her records? Once your student logs onto Banner Web system, and requests access to his or her records for you, you will be sent a letter with your own unique Banner ID and PIN and instructions for accessing the Web4Parent system.

Web for Parents FAQ and Instructions

How do I access the Web for Parent application?
If you have been granted access by your student, you can view their information by following the instructions below:

  • Open the John Carroll University home page –
  • On the upper right of the home page, click on Inside JCU and then click on Banner Web.
  • Click on Enter Secure Area and login using the Banner User ID and PIN that was mailed to you.

During your initial login, you will see a message indicating that your PIN has expired. You then will be required to change your PIN, setup a security question/answer and acknowledge the Terms of Usage.

Select the Parent Access (Web4Parent) menu option:

  • Select Show Student Information
  • Select a Name from the drop down list
  • Select Submit
  • Select the Page to view
  • Select Exit when you are finished

What are the suggested guidelines for creating a security question?
The question should be something that only you can answer.

What if I forget my PIN (personal identification number)?
You can use the ‘Forgot PIN’ button on the login page. After typing in your User ID number you can select the ‘Forgot PIN” button and the system will allow you to change your PIN if you answer your question correctly.

Who do I contact if I experience difficulty with the Web for Parent application?
Should you need assistance navigating through Banner Web, or experience any other difficulties, you should contact your son or daughter. Since the student uses the same web pages that you will be using, the student should be the first and best resource for help. If you are unable to resolve the issue the student can send an email to Michelle Walker at

What is FERPA?
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects the privacy of students and prohibits the Institution from disclosing any student information, including financial information, without the explicit authorization of the student. FERPA regulations are strictly adhered to in the design of Web for Parent application. The student must authorize your access to his or her information.

Why am I able to access the Banner Web product from home, but I get an error message when I try to access it from my place of employment?
Many businesses have a firewall that will not allow access to some outside internet sites. You may have to contact the network administrator at your workplace to see if an adjustment can be made to the firewall software to allow you to access the John Carroll site.

I have two children who attend John Carroll, but only one of my children’s names appears as a selection. Why is that?
To be in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the student has complete control over what information, if any, his/her parent(s) can view. If your student’s name does not appear he/she has not granted you access to their account information.

What pages can I see?
It is the student’s authorization that allows the parent(s) to see all, some, or none of the pages available.The Web4Parent system allows you to view student midterm and final grades, and gives you real-time access to the financial aid award and student account details such as balance, history of charges and payments, and copies of billing statements. Some Web4Parent pages include links to other pages that are not a part of Web4Parent and, consequently, will not display for you. In those cases, use your browser’s back button to return to the jump off page. Note: The student is in control of which data elements you are able to see and the student may change this access at any time.

Information for Students:

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) protects the privacy of your records. Certain information will only be released with your permission to other third parties, such as your parents. This includes information about your student account, financial aid, midterm and final grades, and your class schedule.

How do I give permission for my parent(s) to have access to my financial and academic information?

  • Log in to the Secure Area of Banner Web and select the Parent Access Menu.
  • Click on Authorize Student Information.
  • Select a parent from the drop-down list.*
  • Select the authorization and access you prefer by clicking in the box next to each information item.

Note: Access to information is specific to each parent.

* If you are attempting to provide access to a parent that is not listed in the drop-down list, please email the parent name, address, phone number, and email address to

How will my parents access the site?
Once you complete the authorization, JCU will send a letter to your parent(s) which will provide specific instructions for setting up their Web4Parent account. Remember that you control which parent you grant access to your information. You can add or revoke access at any time.

If you have previously given your parent(s) your own personal Banner PIN, it is suggested that you change your PIN and ask your parents use their own Banner ID and PIN from this point forward.

Additional FAQs can be found by clicking on Parent Access Menu from the Main Menu of BannerWeb.