Transcript Request

The Office of the Registrar’s is the official source for all student academic records. Transcripts are issued only at the request of the student. Effective December 1, 2010, there is a $5 fee for transcripts.

Important Notes:

  • To protect the confidentiality of student and alumni records, no telephone or email requests for transcripts will be honored.
  • All financial obligations to the University must be met before transcripts will be issued.

Select one of the following options to request a transcript:

Option 1: Order Transcripts Online In order to serve you better, John Carroll University has partnered with Credentials  Solutions to provide secure transcript ordering via the web using their TranscriptsPlus service. This service allows you to order transcripts 24/7 from your home, residence hall, or office using any major credit card. Transcript processing time is approximately one-two business days. All transcript handling and access to grades occurs within the University’s Registrar’s Office. Credentials Solutions handles the electronic payment transactions and automated notification services. By requesting transcripts online, you will have the convenience of using the web for the entire process. You will have the option of checking the status of your request on the web or receiving email notifications or text messages sent to your cell phone.

Banner Web Users Students who attended JCU from 2004 to the present and know their Banner User ID and PIN can go to Enter Secure Area, then select the Request Official Transcript option which will allow you to submit your secure transcript request without having to reenter any of your personal information.

Non-Banner Web Users Alumni who do not have a Banner User ID and PIN can directly access Credentials Solutions TranscriptsPlus by clicking here or on the image below to submit transcript requests:


Option 2: Manual Transcript Request If you do not have a credit card, you can use the transcript request form to submit your request. A signed request from the student or alumni is required in order to release a transcript.

  • Complete the transcript request form in person in the Student Service Center. Please note there is no confirmation or tracking service available with this option and the $5 transcript fee must be paid before the transcript will be issued.


  • Download the Transcript Request Form and mail the completed form to the Registrar’s Office (see information below). Please note there is no confirmation or tracking service available with this option and the $5 transcript fee must be paid before the transcript will be issued.

Mail completed form with payment to:

Office of the Registrar
John Carroll University
1 John Carroll Boulevard
University Hts., OH 44118

Change of Address/Name Form

Change of address or name change form can be downloaded here. Please fill out the appropriate information, sign, and fax or mail this form (and any documentation) to:

Office of the Registrar
John Carroll University
1 John Carroll Boulevard
University Hts., OH 44118

Are you an alumni? You can update your personal information using the Alumni and Friends website.

Syllabus Inquiry

To request a copy of specific syllabi from a past John Carroll course, please contact Autumn Petti. In your request, please include the course subject and number, year and semester the course was taken, and professor who taught the course.

Verification: Enrollment/GPA/Class Rank/Degree

The Registrar’s Office is the official source for all student academic records. UPON WRITTEN REQUEST, the Office will provide enrollment verifications of GPA, class rank, or degree for past and present students. It is the policy of the Registrar’s Office to verify enrollment for a future semester, only after the student has officially registered for that term. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) requires a signed release from the student before providing non-directory information. Some examples of non-directory information are GPAs, specific number of credit hours enrolled, class rank, and Social Security number verifications.

The Registrar’s Office provides verifications for students and alumni at no cost. Normal turnaround time for processing verification requests is two business days. However, during peak request periods, it may take longer. Please allow for additional processing time.

Students who wish to apply for a verification of GPA, class rank, or degree may complete a request form in person in the Registrar’s Office (B102). They may also print out a VERIFICATION REQUEST FORM with their browser. If the browser cannot print the form, students may request a verification by signed letter. The request must be mailed or faxed to the Registrar’s Office. The Office fax number is 216.397.3049. Requests should include the following information:

  • Complete name
  • Banner ID or Social Security Number (SSN). Students should indicate if they wish to have their SSN included on the correspondence.
  • Type of student (Undergraduate Student, Graduate Student, or Graduate Assistant)
  • Anticipated graduation date
  • Specific instructions regarding the type of information to be released (for example, full-time status, half-time status, class rank, GPA, or good-student discount insurance eligibility)
  • Location to which the verification should be mailed or faxed (address for mailing or the fax number if the certification is to be faxed). Students may also request that the verification be available for them to pick up in the Registrar’s Office.
  • The policy holder’s name and contract number if this verification is to be sent to an insurance company and the verification is necessary to continue coverage on someone else’s policy
  • A daytime telephone number and/or email address in case we need to contact you
  • Student’s signature authorizing release of the information

Diploma Information

Diploma and graduation inquiries should be addressed to the Commencement Coordinator, Deanna DePenti.

Deanna DePenti
Commencement Coordinator