Degrees: M.A., Ph.D., Kent State University
Expertise: Child Clinical, Health Psychology
Spring 2014 Courses
PS262 ADOLESCENT DEVELOPMENT TR 11:00am-12:15 pm
PS455 CHILD&ADOLSCNT PSYCHPTHLGY TR 12:30-1:45pm
PS407 PSYCHOLOGY OF AUTISM TR 2:00-3:15pm
Spring 2014 Office Hours
Other times by appointment
- examination of adherence with infection control (IC) guidelines in individuals with cystic fibrosis
- autism spectrum disorders
- adolescent development, culture, & perspectives
RECENT RESEARCH PUBLICATIONS
Wightman, N.R., Wildman, B.G., Masterson, T.L, & Omlor, G. (in press). Assessing Treatment Adherence with the Health Belief Model in Children with Cystic Fibrosis. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings.
Masterson, T.L., Dimitriou F., & Turko, K., McPartland, J. (in press). An undergraduate course and practicum in autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders.
Masterson, T.L.. Service Learning with Individuals with Developmental Disabilities: A Vehicle for Promoting Social Action and Advocacy in Higher Education. Submitted to the Lilly Conference on College and University Teaching, Traverse City, MI (September, 2012).
Meeks, L.M., & Masterson, T.L. (under review). Students with autism spectrum disorders in higher education: Best practices for a successful transition. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities.
Wightman, N.R., Wildman, B.G., Masterson, T.L., Ph.D., & Omlor, G. (2011, September). Relating adherence and perceptions of psychosocial variables among children with cystic fibrosis. Poster presented at the Society of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics’ annual conference, San Antonio, TX.
Loye Masterson, T., Wildman, B.G., Newberry, B.H. & Omlor, G.J. (2008). Compliance with Infection Control in Individuals with Cystic Fibrosis. Pediatric Pulmonology, 43: 435-442.
Loye, T.L., Wildman, B.G., Newberry, B.H., Omlor, G.J., Kukay, A. & Bryson, E. (2003).
Perceptions and correlates of compliance with infection control guidelines. Pediatric Pulmonology, (25); A519.
HONORS, AWARDS, & GRANTS
- Recipient of the David Hoch Memorial Award for Excellence in Service (2012)
- Nominated for the Ernest A. Lynton Award for the Scholarship of Engagement for Early Career Faculty (2012)
- Recipient of funding award from the Ad Hoc Review Committee for New Academic Programs to develop a new course/practicum in autism spectrum disorders (2009)
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Student Traineeship Grant (2006)
- Applied Psychology Center Student Under-Researched Population Award (2006)
- 2007-2008: Pediatric Psychology Fellow, Cleveland Clinic Children’s Hospital, Center for Pediatric Behavioral Health
- 2006-2007: Pediatric Psychology Resident, A.I. duPont Hospital for Children, Division of Behavioral Health
- 2006: Student Clinician, Children’s Hospital Medical Center of Akron, Neurodevelopmental Center
- 2005-2006: Assistant Director, Kent State University Psychological Clinic
- 2004 – 2005 Student Clinician, Children’s Hospital Medical Center of Akron
- 2002 – 2005: Student Clinician, Kent State University Psychological Clinic
- 1998: Direct Care Worker, MaryCrest Residential Treatment Center
SERVICE TO THE COMMUNITY & JCU
- Have coordinated 6 JCU students to serve as behavioral coaches for students with autism in the community (2012)
- Serve on the Arrupe Scholars Interview Committee (2012 – present)
- Serve on the JCU Health Advisory Group (2012 – present)
- Faculty Advisor for Autism Speaks U Chapter at John Carroll University (2011 – present)
- Faculty Advisor of Psychology Club and Psi Chi National Honor Society (2009 – present)
- Coordinate Cleveland Clinic Center for Autism Internships (2008 – present)
- Actively incorporate service learning into Adolescent Development, Child and Adolescent Psychopathology, Psychology of Autism, and Psychopathology courses (2008-present)
- Featured in the marketing video for the Center for Service and Social Action at JCU (2012)
- Participated in the “Walk Now for Autism Speaks” in Cleveland, Ohio as the JCU Department of Psychology Team; coordinated several JCU student volunteers (2011, 2009)
- Participated in the Lerner School for Autism 19th Anniversary Run (2011)
- Acted as a supervisor (and volunteer) for Cultivating Community; coordinated group of 6 student volunteers at St. Thomas Aquinas School (2011)
- Co-lead the First Annual Transitions Symposium at John Carroll University (2011)
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Association for Behavior Analysis (2012- present)
- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Pediatric Pulmonology (2010 – present)
- Psi Chi, The National Honor Society of Psychology, Member (2009 – present)
- American Psychological Association (APA), Member (2001-present)
- Ohio Psychological Association (OPA) Member (2009 –2011)
- Society of Pediatric Psychology, Member (2001-present)
- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Journal of Pediatric Psychology (2007-2008)
- Ad Hoc Reviewer, Journal of Clinical Outcomes Management (2007-2008)
- Children’s Hospital Medical Center of Akron – Early Childhood Mental Health Consultation Leadership Council (2003-2004)