Expertise: Psychology and Law
Spring 2015 Courses
PS 470-51 CHILDREN AND FAMILIES IN THE LEGAL SYSTEM TR 9:30-10:45 am
PS 471-51 SEMINAR IN ETHICS IN PSYCHOLOGY TR 11:00-12:15 pm
PS 488-51 PRACTICUM: THE HOSPITALIZED CHILD W 12:00-1:50 pm
Spring 2015 Office Hours
Tuesday: 9:00-9:30 am, 12:30-2:00 pm
Wednesday: 9:00-11:00 am, 2:30-3:30 pm
Thursday: 9:00-9:30 am
and by appointment
- The Hospitalized Child
- Ethics in Psychology
- Children and Families in the Legal System
- Forensic Psychology
- Introduction to Psychology
- Preparing for Graduate Study in Psychology
Public Service Interests
- Mediation of Disputes
- Child Abuse and Neglect
- Ethics in Psychology
- Legal Issues in Professional Psychology
- Legal Issues in Higher Education
- Pre-law Advising
- Research ethics
- Ethics in professional psychology
- Psychological injuries in litigation
- Questioning children as witnesses
- Child protection
- American Psychological Association. (Fellow). Ethics Committee (1997-2000); (2002-2004) Ethics Code Revision Task Force (1997-2000); Council of Representatives (1999-2001, 1994-1997, 1987-1990); Continuing Education Committee (2005-)
- Society for the Teaching of Psychology: Division Two of the American Psychological Association. (Fellow). President (1992-1993); Secretary/Treasurer (1987-1990); Chair, Fellows Committee (1999-2000); Chair, Elections Committee (1995-1996); Chair, Bylaws Revision Task Force (1993-1996); Chair, Ethics in Academic Life Committee (1990-1991); Chair, Membership Committee (1984-1986); Fund for Excellence Board (1987-); Executive Secretary, Fund for Excellence (2006-)
- Consulting Editor: Teaching of Psychology
- American Psychology-Law Society: Division 41 of the American Psychological Association.
- Association for Psychological Science (Charter member)
- Midwest Association of Pre-law Advisors, Board (2002-2004)
- Ohio Psychological Assn. Chair, Ethics Committe
Swenson, E.V. (2013). Teaching Psychology and Law. In Dunn, D. (Ed.).Oxford Handbook of Psychology Education. New York, Oxford University Press. (In press)
Swenson, E.V. (2013). Legal Issues in Clinical and Counseling Psychological Testing and Assessment. In Geisinger, K. and Carlson, J. (Eds.). Handbook of Testing and Assessment. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
Swenson, Elizabeth V. (2012). Translating ethical dilemmas from the traditional to the online classroom. The Ohio Psychologist, 12-14.
Swenson, E.V. & McCarthy, M.A. (2011) Ethically Conducting the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) Research. In Landrum, R.E. and McCarthy, M.A. (Eds.). Teaching Ethically: Challenges and Opportunities. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
Swenson, E.V. (2009). Protecting human participants in research: What you need to know about the IRB. The Ohio Psychologist, 56, 23-25.
Swenson, E.V. (2008). The insanity trial of Hamlet: A teaching activity. (Revised). In Benjamin, L. (Ed.). Favorite activities for the teaching of psychology. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
Swenson, E.V. (2008). Ethics of psychological research. In Davis, S. and Buskist, W. (Eds.). The handbook of psychology in the 21st century. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Awards and Honors
- Fellow, American Psychological Association
- Fellow, Phi Beta Kappa Society
- Fellow, Midwestern Psychological Association.
- Distinguished Professor of the Year (2010), John Carroll University
- Student Activity Moderator of the Year (2011).
- Distinguished Contributions to the Profession of Psychology, Ohio Psychological Association (2007)