Hearing the Call
- In May 2013, The Society of Jesus (U.S.) announced that Rev. Timothy P. Kesicki, S.J., will be the next president of the Jesuit Conference. Fr. Kesicki, who was appointed by Rev. Adolfo Nicolás, S.J., Superior General of the Society of Jesus, will assume his new position Aug. 1, 2014. Fr. Kesicki is a member of JCU’s Class of 1984, former member of the John Carroll Board of Directors, and past president of Saint Ignatius High School in Cleveland.
Headquartered in Washington, D.C., the Jesuit Conference is the liaison office that coordinates the national work of the Society of Jesus, the largest order of priests and brothers in the Roman Catholic Church. In 2008, Fr. Nicolás, appointed Fr. Kesicki to lead the Detroit Province. In 2009, Fr. Kesicki was also named provincial for the Chicago Province. His dual roles were part of a reorganization of the provinces.
- In 2011, Pope Benedict XVI named Bishop Neal Buckon, a 1975 JCU graduate, Auxiliary Bishop of the Archdiocese for the Military Services. He is one of four auxiliary bishops under Archbishop Timothy Broglio, a Cleveland native. The archdiocese is headquartered in Washington, D.C., but Bishop Buckon spends much of his time traveling to visit Catholics in the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Navy, and Marines. He oversees the Western region, which includes 18 states and requires overseas travel.
- John Carroll University figures prominently in the lives of all five men ordained as priests in the Diocese of Cleveland in May 2008. Two of the men, Rev. Stephen Flynn and Rev. Michael McCandless, graduated from JCU in 2002. Two more, Rev. Jared Orndorff and Rev. Edward Suszynski Jr., graduated from Carroll a year later. A fifth priest, Rev. Joseph Brankatelli, attended John Carroll from 2001 to 2003.
Men and Women for Others
- John Carroll’s Labre Project reached a milestone in July 2009, when it served the homeless for the 200th consecutive Friday night since the street ministry’s inception on campus in 2004. In that time, hundreds of JCU students, faculty, and staff have visited Cleveland-area people who are homeless. They meet homeless men and women where they live, building friendships week to week while sharing food and fellowship.
- Nearly $300,000 has been raised since 2007 at John Carroll’s “American Cancer Society Relay For Life” event. During its first year on campus, John Carroll’s event turned out to be the top collegiate Relay For Life in the nation for its enrollment bracket of 2,500 to 4,999 students.
Leading and Serving
- In summer 2007, John Carroll hosted Heartland-Delta V, a conference of 500 delegates from 12 Jesuit colleges and universities in the Midwest and Delta regions.
- His Eminence, Cardinal William J. Levada, visited John Carroll in April 2007. Cardinal Levada, the former Archbishop of San Francisco, was the first new cardinal to be elevated by Pope Benedict XVI.
- John Carroll hosted the AJCU Core Curriculum conference in 2007, which brought 40 representatives from other Jesuit institutions to our campus to discuss how mission and core connect.