The Carroll News, John Carroll’s official student news publication, continues to receive recognition from numerous national professional journalism organizations. In late fall 2010, the paper was voted Best Non-Daily College Newspaper by the Ohio Society of Professional Journalists.
Earlier this week The Society for Collegiate Journalists announced the winners of their 2011 national contest. The Society conducts an annual national contest that is the only college media competition judged exclusively by professionals in the field. The Carroll News won a total of 10 awards this year including Overall Excellence in Print for a weekly or less paper.
The individual winners are:
- Katie Sheridan ’11 and Emily Gaffney ’12 , second place in Front Page Design. Katie also won first place in Breaking/Hard News.
- Dan Cooney ’13, first place in News Page.
- Sean Webster ’11, first place in Feature Page and third place in Columns/Commentary.
- Jennifer Holton ’12, third place in Feature Page.
- Nicole Green ’13, second place in News Stories.
- Tim Ertle ’11, first place in Sports Columns.
- Zach Mentz ’14, honorable mention in Sports Features.
Last week it was also announced that Sean Webster won first place for General Column Writing in the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) 2010 Region 4 Mark of Excellence Awards. Sean is now in competition with other regional winners for “The Best College General Column Writer in the Country,” an award that is given at the national SPJ conference in late summer.