University Heights, OH — The Clare Boothe Luce Program has recently awarded John Carroll University $160,880 to support two scholarships over a period of two years for two women undergraduates majoring in the sciences.  The Clare Boothe Luce Program is part of the prestigious Henry Luce Foundation.

“We are grateful for this distinguished award,” said John Carroll University President Robert L. Niehoff, S.J.   “Scholarship support will allow us to honor our commitment to recruit, enroll, and retain talented young women especially in those sciences where women are most underrepresented.”

ABOUT THE CLARE BOOTH LUCE PROGRAM

Since its first grants in 1989 the Clare Boothe Luce Program (CBL) has become the single most significant source of private support for women in science, mathematics and engineering. Clare Boothe Luce, the widow of Henry R. Luce, was a playwright, journalist, U.S. Ambassador to Italy, and the first woman elected to Congress from Connecticut. In her bequest establishing this program, she sought “to encourage women to enter, study, graduate, and teach” in science, mathematics and engineering.
John Carroll University, founded in 1886 as Saint Ignatius College, is located in University Heights, Ohio, in suburban Cleveland. The University was renamed in 1923 to honor America’s first Catholic Bishop, John Carroll of Maryland. Its Jesuit Catholic mission inspires individuals to excel in learning, leadership, and service in the region and the world.  John Carroll University is recognized nationally for an exceptional four-year graduation rate, teaching excellence, and a commitment to living a faith that does justice as central to its mission. John Carroll is one of 28 Jesuit colleges and universities in the United States.

Posted on November 10, 2010
||