(University Heights, OH) – John Carroll University alumni continue to show their loyalty in greater numbers, even in these challenging economic times. Participation has steadily grown in recent years, rising to 16 percent in fiscal year 2010, compared to 14 percent in 2009 and 12 percent in 2008. Overall giving totaled $16.7 million in 2010, up 36 percent from 2009.
Support for the University’s Carroll Fund grew by 12 percent. Gifts made to the Carroll Fund by alumni, parents, and friends of the University provide budget support for scholarships and financial aid. Carroll Fund gifts are expended in the same fiscal year in which they are received.
The Council for Aid to Education recently conducted a survey about fiscal year 2009 giving among undergraduate institutions. Survey results revealed that philanthropy declined overall from 2008, particularly in the areas of participation and annual giving. Alumni giving participation shrank nationally to 11.7percent, and annual giving declined.
The John Carroll University Advancement team strives to build on alumni engagement momentum while gearing up for the University’s 125th anniversary celebration in 2011.
John Carroll University, founded in 1886 as Saint Ignatius College, is located in University Heights, Ohio, in suburban Cleveland. The University’s Jesuit Catholic mission inspires individuals to excel in learning, leadership, and service in the region and the world. John Carroll University is recognized nationally for an exceptional four-year graduation rate, teaching excellence, and a commitment to living a faith that does justice as central to its mission. John Carroll is one of 28 Jesuit colleges and universities in the United States.