Ignatian Heritage Week is a series of events designed to celebrate our heritage of being women and men for and with others. Ignatian Heritage Week 2018 will take place from Sunday, January 28th through Saturday, February 3rd. This year’s theme: “Ignatian Solidarity: Encountering Each Other”
Below is the schedule for Ignatian Heritage Week 2018
- Ignatian Heritage Week Schedule:
- Sunday, January 28th
- 9:00 pm: Student Mass (Church of the Gesu) – Celebrate students living the mission in solidarity with others, followed by cookies, cider and hot chocolate reception in Church of the Gesu vestibule. Presider: Rev. Thomas Pipp, S.J.
- Monday, January 29th
- 9:00 am: Space: Encountering Human Trafficking (D.J. Lombardo Student Center, O’Dea Room) – All week, faculty, staff, and students are invited to take time to learn about this injustice through interaction, reflection, and reading the stories of survivors. Open all week.
- Noon – 1:00 pm: Encountering Each Other Through Interfaith Lens and Differing Worldviews (D.J. Lombardo Student Center – Murphy Room) – Listen to John Carroll students, faculty, and staff discuss religious and differing worldview perspectives on what it means to be a person for and with others. Lunch provided, registration required. Register Here
- 3:00 – 4:30 pm: Encounter Our Ignatian Heritage (Dolan Science Center, A 202-203) Faculty and Staff hired in 2017 (and all who are interested) are encouraged to attend this interactive workshop. Register Here
- 6:00 – 9:00 pm: “The 100-Foot Journey” (2014) (Dolan Center for Science and Technology, Dolan Auditorium) Movie about encounter and cuisine, followed by discussion and refreshments. Register Here
- Tuesday, January 30th
- 11:45 – 1:15 pm: “Encountering Each Other Through Music, Poetry, and Word” (Dolan Center for Science and Technology, O’Connell Reading Room) – Lunch included, Limited seating. Registration required. Register Here
- 4:00 – 5:30 pm: Celebration of Service Award Ceremony (Dolan Center for Science and Technology, Dolan Atrium) – Presentation of the Curtis W. Miles Faculty Community Service Award, the Staff Service Award, the George B. Sweeney Campion Award (Student Service Awards), and the Rev. Dr. Valentino Lassiter “Continuing the Dream” Award. Registration required. Register Here
- Wednesday, January 31st
- Noon – 2:00 pm: Alpha Sigma Nu Advocacy Project (D.J. Lombardo Student Center – Atrium) Students Advocacy Project on Immigration and human trafficking
- 2:00 – 3:30 pm: Community Forum on Mission (Donahue Auditorium, Dolan Center for Science and Technology) – All are invited learn about and discuss the emerging Strategic Plan for Diversity and Inclusion.
- 3:30 – 4:30 pm: Opening of the Ignatian Heritage Exhibit (Atrium, Dolan Center for Science and Technology)
- 9:30 pm: Murphy Mass and Pizza (Christi Ignaut Chapel of St. Peter Faber, S.J. – Murphy Hall) Presider: Rev. Mark Ravizza, S.J.
- Thursday, February 1st
- Noon – 1:30 pm: Lunch and Lecture: Educating for Justice in Difficult Times (D.J. Lombardo Student Center, LSC Conference Room) – Rev. Mark Ravizza, S.J., Associate Professor, Department of Philosophy, Bannan Senior Fellow, Santa Clara University – All are invited. Lunch provided. Registration required. Register Here
- 3:30 – 5:00 pm Faculty Workshop: “What the World Needs Today:The Uncommon Goods of Jesuit Education” (D.J. Lombardo Center, LSC Conference Room) – All faculty are invited. Rev. Mark Ravizza, S.J., Associate Professor, Santa Clara University – Registration required. Register Here
- 6:30 – 8:30 pm Dinner and Presentation for Students – “Ignatian Conversations: Communal Reflection in a Divided World” (D.J. Lombardo Student Center, LSC Conference Room) Rev. Mark Ravizza, S.J., Associate Professor, Santa Clara University
- Friday, February 2nd
- 12:05 Mass: St. Francis Chapel – Presider: Rev. Mark Ravizza, S.J.
- Saturday, February 3rd
- 1:00 – 3:00 pm: Encounter Cleveland at the “Cleveland Starts Here and Stokes Brothers Exhibit” – Western Reserve Historical Society – Transportation Provided – Register Here
- 2:00 pm: JCU Men’s Basketball vs Wilmington College – DeCarlo Center – 2016 -2017 Varsity Team Service Award Recognition for JCU Wrestling and JCU Softball Teams.
- Sunday, January 28th
Ignatian Heritage Week events are funded by the Dean Brackley, S.J. endowment fund established by the JCU Jesuit Community.