As a Jesuit Catholic university, John Carroll University inspires individuals to excel in learning, leadership, and service in the region and in the world.
Ignatian Heritage Week is a series of events designed to celebrate our heritage and our tradition of serving others. This year’s theme is environmental sustainability. Please return to the website later in the fall semester for an updated list of scheduled activities.
January 25 – January 31, 2015
Sunday January 25
- 4:00 p.m. – “Alpha Sigma Nu Induction Ceremony” Location TBD. John Carroll will induct 50 students into the only National Jesuit Honor Society. All are welcome, especially past inductees.
- 9:00 p.m. – “Celebrating Students, Living the Mission” Mass at Gesu Church - Presider TBD. Dessert reception following the Mass @ 10:15 p.m. in Schott Dining Hall compliments of JCU Dining.
Monday, January 26
- 10:00 a.m. – 2 p.m. – “Sustainability at JCU: Facts, Frictions, and Futures” in D.J. Lombardo Student Center Atrium. The Sustainability Committee, The Student Union, The Green Team, JCU Justice, Alpha Sigma Nu, and other student groups, in collaboration with the companies that process our recycling, compost, and trash, will highlight present and future efforts to keep JCU green.
- 7:00 p.m. – “Interfaith Student Panel: ‘Caring for the Earth’” in Dolan Science Center, Donahue Auditorium. Moderated by His Excellency Archbishop Michael Fitzgerald, M. Afr., this year’s Tuohy Chair. Join JCU students from different faiths and humanistic traditions as they share how they care for the earth.
Tuesday, January 27
- 12:00 p.m. – “Music, Prayer, and Reflection in the Ignatian Tradition: Caring for the Earth” in Dolan Science Center, O’Connell Reading Room. Lunch is included and begins at 11:45 a.m., program begins at 12:15 p.m. R.S.V.P. to Diane McTier at email@example.com or call 216.397.1594.
- 4:00 p.m. “Celebration of Service Award Ceremony”: Curtis W. Miles Faculty Community Service Award, The Staff and Administration Service Award and the George B. Sweeney Campion Award (Student Service Awards): Dolan Science Center Atrium
- 9:30 p.m. – “Festival of Praise” in Saint Francis Chapel. Ecumenical student-run prayer service of word and song focused on care for God’s creation. All are welcome.
Wednesday, January 29
- 7:00 p.m. “Spotlight on Jesuit Basketball” – Men’s Varsity Basketball Game vs. Heidelberg University, DeCarlo Varsity Gym. Half time: honoring fall 2014 student athletes and coaches.
- 9:30 p.m. – “Murphy Mass and Pizza” in Christi Ignaut Chapel of St. Peter Faber, S.J.; Murphy Hall. Presider: TBD. Following Mass, join us for pizza and a tour of the ecological highlights of Murphy Hall, slated to become JCU’s first LEED-certified building.
Thursday, January 29
- 12:00 p.m Lunch and Lecture: “Cura Terrae: Caring for the Earth in the Ignatian Tradition” in D.J. Lombardo Student Center, LSC Conference Room. Nancy Tuchman, Ph.D.,Professor of Biology and director of the Institute of Environmental Sustainability at Loyola University Chicago: - Lunch is included: RSVP to Diane McTier at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 216.397.1594
- 2:00 p.m. – Community Meeting: “Environmental Efforts and Possibilities at JCU” in D.J. Lombardo Student Center, LSC Conference Room. Student organizations, staff, and faculty interested in exploring current and future possibilities for sustainability efforts at John Carroll can meet with the Sustainability Committee and Dr. Tuchman.
- 7:30 p.m. – “The Environment , Justice, and Jesuit Education” in D.J. Lombardo Student Center, LSC Conference Room. Nancy Tuchan, Ph. D., professor of biology and director of the Institute of Environmental Sustainability at Loyola University Chicago. Sponsored by the Institute of Catholic Studies.
Friday, January 31
- 12:00 p.m. “Closing Liturgy with Recitation of the Saint Francis Pledge” inSt. Francis Chapel. Presider , Rev. Jayme Stayer, SJ, Assistant Professor, Department of English.