The major in middle childhood education is administered by the Department of Education. Students who choose this major are required to select two curriculum content areas from language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies.
The mathematics curriculum content requirements are:
- MT 118 Applied Mathematics OR
- CS 144 Software Animation and Modeling
- MT 135 Calculus & Analytic Geometry I
- MT 160 Mathematics and Creativity or MT 200 Explorations in Mathematics OR
- MT 200 Explorations in Mathematics
- MT 162 Mathematics from Nonwestern Cultures
- MT 221 Combinatorics, Probability and Statistics in Middle School Mathematics
- MT 241 Numerical & Algebraic Concepts for Middle School Mathematics Teachers
- MT 251 Geometry for Middle School Mathematics Teachers
Some of these courses are offered only every two years, and others are offered only once per year. Middle childhood education majors pursuing the mathematics curriculum content area should take MT 135 and MT 160 during their first year, to ensure that they have satisfied the prerequisites for MT 241 and MT 251 in time to take those courses.