New programs drive involvement

During the past two years, the alumni relations team created new and innovative platforms for alumni to engage with the University and one another. More than 20 new programs have been launched, resulting in hundreds of volunteers, exciting events, and impactful programs that support alumni throughout the world. Meet a few of those who have re-engaged with the alumni association:

RomeJennifer (Gardner) Rome ’03
Onward newsletter reader
Willoughby, Ohio
Why I got involved: I subscribe to and read Onward because it’s an easy way to stay connected with all the great things happening at Carroll and it comes right to my inbox on my phone.

MacMillenDon “Squeak” MacMillan ’81
Andrew “Dewey” McCarthy ’81 Scholarship
Watertown, Mass.
Why I got involved: Dewey was my roommate, friend, teammate, and fraternity brother at John Carroll. Dewey helped establish the alumni soccer game in 1982, and after his death, we started raising money and playing the game in his honor. The fully endowed scholarship is increasing in value, having benefited JCU students for 25 years and counting. We’ve kept the event going for more than three decades and recently have seen a new wave of energy. I’m as dedicated as ever. As the Jesuits teach us, take something negative, and turn it around to serve others. The program is a special memorial to our friend.

ReynoldsKyle Reynolds ’99
Backpacks to Briefcases
Oakmont, Pa.
Why I got involved: I drive in from Pittsburgh each spring to discuss personal finance strategies and pitfalls with students because there’s no college course called Life 101.

WalkerCurtis Walker ’13
College Now mentor
Cleveland
Why I got involved: I’ve been affiliated with the program since my freshman year. I remember how beneficial it was to have someone who already walked down the road I was preparing for to help shape my future.

GulntaRich Guinta ’69
Take John Carroll With You
Onsted, Mich.
Why I got involved: I saw photos and the promotion for “Take John Carroll With You” and thought it would be fun. I was hosting a gathering with a group of friends and told them we had a surprise guest joining us. Little did I know, John would travel with us throughout the country during the summer.

CoadJasmine Coad ’11
Diverse Alumni Network
Cleveland
Why I got involved: Through the Diverse Alumni Network, I’ve had the opportunity to meet, and share my experiences with, fellow alumni and current students. DAN has given me the opportunity to build a network I wouldn’t have otherwise.

NemethRosemary ’82, ’90G and Jim ’80 Nemeth
Alumni Couples Night Out
Beachwood, Ohio
Why we got involved: We love attending the JCU Couples Night Out. It’s an enchanted evening filled with our dear friends, former teachers, delicious treats, and fun conversation. The best part is coming back to the beautiful campus.

MillerChad Miller, Ph.D., ’00
Football Alumni Facebook Follower
Honolulu
Why I got involved: The time I spent with my John Carroll football teammates and coaches significantly contributed to my growth as an individual. The football alumni Facebook page, in addition to the various JCU Twitter feeds, have allowed me to remain connected to the University, the program, and my football brothers – even when I live 5,000 miles away from campus. Go Streaks!

LloydJohn Lloyd, Ph.D., ’59
Gold Streaks
Highland Heights, Ohio
Why I got involved: I’m impressed by what JCU is doing to engage its elder alumni. I’m participating in as many of those activities as I can and am volunteering my time and effort as a member of the Cleveland Alumni Chapter leadership committee to help my alma mater improve its programs for all Gold Streaks.

YoumellEarl Youmell ’61
Alumni Continuing Education Series (A.C.E.S)
North Royalton, Ohio
Why I got involved: I’m grateful to the alumni relations staff for reaching out to me with its invitation to participate in the A.C.E.S. program. The learning series provides me with an enjoyable and informative way to renew my ties to JCU after being away from the campus for more than 50 years. I look forward to the 2014 program.

HohnerJulia Hohner ’15
Student Alumni Association
Rochester Hills, Mich.
Why I got involved: The connection between our alumni and students has always been an incredible testament to the quality of the University. Involvement with the Student Alumni Association helps strengthen those connections and fosters a lifelong bond with JCU.

OskowskiLarry Oskowski ’93
Alumni Chapter Program
Broadview Heights, Ohio
Why I got involved: My time at JCU had a huge, positive impact on my life. I met my wife there and still work for the company I started with as a result of a part-time, co-op posting in the career center. Serving as president of the Cleveland Alumni Chapter allows me to support the University mission and give back to an institution that has meant so much to me and my family, including my daughter, who’s a freshman this year.

DivitoPatrick Divito ’80
Captains Club
Boardman, Ohio
Why I got involved: Bill O’Brien ’81 and I wanted to establish a program that supports the University that has given us so much. We started the Captains Club to increase and base through a network developed by former football captains and their teammates. The support by Dave Vitatoe ’00, alumni director, and Laurie Massa, athletic director, has been instrumental.

BushBrittany Bush ’07
Alumni Travel Program
Lakewood, Ohio
Why I got involved: This will be my first time traveling abroad, and I thought it would be a fantastic opportunity to learn about the history and culture of Tuscany and experience it with fellow JCU alumni and Paul Murphy, Ph.D., our guide for the trip.

OresickJake Oresick ’06
Carroll News Alumni Corner
Pittsburgh
Why I got involved: Alumni relations asked me to write a column for The Carroll News stylized as a graduation speech, but what I really gave them was a love letter to the John Carroll community.

McGlumphyKelly McGlumphy ’00
Women’s Mentoring and Networking Group
Rocky River, Ohio
Why I got involved: Mentorship and networking have played such vital roles in where I am in my career. I saw the Women’s Mentoring and Networking Group as an ideal way to exchange ideas and share professional experiences with like-minded women.

SchneiderJ.B. Schneider ’91
Alumni Business Directory
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
Why I got involved: Building P’kolino (pee-ko-lee-no) has given me the good fortune of meeting, and doing business with, people throughout the world. There are no finer people than those who I’ve met through John Carroll, which represents the values of the people I choose to do business with.

Click here to learn about all alumni programs.