Athletics

Arth era begins on gridiron

The next chapter in JCU’s football program has begun with new head coach Tom Arth ’03. The Cleveland St. Ignatius High School graduate, who’s the 17th head football coach in the program’s 92-year history, joins Jerry Schweickert ’60, ’65G (1965-76), Frank Amato ’73 (1984-86), and Tony DeCarlo ’66G (1987-98) as alumni who’ve served as head coach.

Arth, who set 18 school records, was a Division III All-American quarterback twice for the Blue Streaks. In 2002, he guided the team to a 12-2 record, an East region championship, and a berth in the NCAA Division III national semifinals for the first time in program history.

The former NFL quarterback for the Indianapolis Colts and Green Bay Packers spent three seasons as a backup to Peyton Manning. He also had stints as a player with NFL Europe (for development during the NFL off-season), the Canadian Football League (’07), and the Arena Football League (’08).

“I never thought about coaching football while playing professionally because I was focused on being the best player I could be,” Arth says. “The Colts staff at the time kept telling me I would make a good coach.”

NFL front office alumni Tom Telesco ’95, David Caldwell ’96, and Chris Polian ’93 also were employed by the Colts while Arth was there.

Arth

After Arth’s playing career ended when the Arena Football League folded, he transitioned to the business world, working in sales for IdeaStream Consumer Products before returning to Carroll as a full-time coach in 2010.

“Football is in my heart and soul, and nothing could ever replace that,” Arth says. “With IdeaStream, football wasn’t as big a factor in my life as it had always been. However, it wasn’t an easy decision to leave the company where I worked with Dan Perella ’92, Sean Williams ’95, and Tony DeCarlo Jr. ’88. They’re unbelievable people and great leaders. If it wasn’t for them, it would’ve been a simple decision. That job prepared me for this moment.”

In terms of recruiting, Arth – in addition to reminding recruits JCU is the only Jesuit school with a Division III football program – says it all comes back to what John Carroll represents.

“We recruit high-character individuals,” says the 31-year-old. “We’re looking for great players who will succeed academically. There are great opportunities for our students on and off the field.”

Arth made and will continue to make changes to his coaching staff and expects to have it complete and in place by spring.

“My goal is to bring in coaches who are passionate about JCU, people I trust, and people who believe our mission,” he says. “I’d love to have a long career at Carroll. I could see myself being here forever. I believe in our mission, who we are, and what we represent.”

- John Walsh

_____________

Pot O’ Blue & Gold Party
The athletic community hosted a spirited, fun evening at the Irish-themed Pot O’ Blue & Gold party March 15 in the DeCarlo Varsity Center. The proceeds will benefit student-athletes. Events included:
• Coaches Corner featuring updates, including a preview to the 2013-14 inaugural men’s and women’s lacrosse season, from varsity coaches;
• a retro Blue Streak uniform sale;
• NCAA Men’s Basketball conference tournaments on big screen TVs;
• raffle prizes, including Midwest travel packages and game tickets;
• Irish entertainment – Murphy’s Irish Dancers and The One More Pint band; and
• traditional pub fare and Irish nacho bar.

To view photos from the event, click here.
_____________

Baseball reunion weekend
To celebrate the 40th anniversary of the JCU baseball program this spring, Coach Mark Thibeault helped form the John Carroll Baseball Alumni Committee, which aims to devise an alumni event annually that brings back players to campus to catch up on present endeavors and create fun events to honor past and present Blue Streak baseball teams. Thibeault and the committee invite baseball alumni to the First Annual Baseball Alumni weekend, which will be held the weekend of May 3, leading up to John Carroll’s Senior Day when it battles Ohio Northern at Schweickert Field. For more information, contact Thibeault at 216-397-4660 or mthibeault@jcu.edu.

For more information about JCU athletics, visit jcusports.com.