Enrollment quarterly

Admission checkpoint

SENIORS
March/April
You should be hearing about admission and financial aid awards from the schools you’re considering. The months ahead are about finalizing your decision. You have all the information you need and can compare schools evenly.

There are many tools to help you. College Navigator (http://nces.ed.gov/ collegenavigator/), a U.S. Department of Education tool, will help you evaluate the schools you’re considering based on various criteria such as loan borrowing, retention and graduation rates, diversity and age of students, and campus safety and crime rates. Check out the tool so you can be more informed about your college selection. Don’t be afraid to ask questions and gather the information you need to make the best decision.

May
May 1 is the National Response Date – the deadline to notify the school you plan to attend in the fall. Those of you who’ve selected John Carroll will receive information about summer orientation sessions and planning your transition to University Heights. Sign up for orientation early so you can factor it into your summer schedule. Before graduation, work with your high- school counselor to be sure your final school transcripts are forwarded to your chosen college or university. Finalize your summer job plans and think about how you’re going to manage your income. Find an appropriate balance between spending your earnings and saving a portion for college expenses.

You can follow the progress and updates for joining the class of 2016 online at http:// sites.jcu.edu/admission.

JUNIORS
March/April
You’ve probably heard junior year is your most difficult year of high school. Now it’s almost over. You still should be focused on achieving solid grades and doing your best on standardized tests. Now’s the time to think about laying the foundation for your summer and next school year.

Spring break is an ideal time to narrow your college search and visit campuses, if you haven’t already. Look at different types of schools, and visit various campuses to see which ones you prefer. Of course, we’d love for you to see John Carroll, so visit our website, jcu.edu/visit, to review programs available for juniors.

Also, this April through June is a time you can take the SAT and/or ACT, if necessary.

Think about what you want to accomplish this summer. Juniors should focus on possible internships, volunteer work, and looking into career opportunities. It’s a time to explore majors you’re considering by pursuing meaningful work experience, not just a paycheck. You’ll select senior year classes soon, so be sure to check with your guidance counselor to ensure your courses meet necessary college entrance requirements. Take the most demanding courses possible.

Whether you need to catch up or want to get ahead, consider a course or two at a community college during the summer. You can supplement your high school transcript with courses that interest you, you can’t take at your school, or will set you apart in the college admission process.

Develop a plan to become a leader in your activities. Where can you lead and gain worthwhile experience outside the classroom? Whether on the field or off, it’s your year to think about your legacy at your school and take the next step. John Carroll and many other schools have scholarships that are awarded based on leadership.

Finally, it’s never too early to research scholarship opportunities. Many schools set application deadlines for merit scholarships during December of your senior year, and it’s much easier to complete applications during the summer than the school year. Plan ahead, and visit jcu.edu/aidjcu for more information about scholarships at Carroll.

Come visit us
Cookouts on the quad will take place throughout the summer. Designed for sophomores, juniors, and seniors, these visit days allow you to take a student-led campus tour, learn more about admission and financial aid, and enjoy a delicious barbeque lunch. Dates and registration will be available soon at jcu.edu/visit.

Grzegorzewski

Student spotlight
Lauren Grzegorzewski
Class of 2012
Grand Blanc, Mich.
Education major

1. How do you maintain a balance between your academics and athletics? Being involved in athletics actually has helped me maintain a balance. Because I know my soccer schedule ahead of time, I can set aside time for homework. Structure is key for my success as a student and athlete.

2. Why did you choose to major in education?

Originally, I was a biology major pursuing nursing. I always enjoyed working with kids. But after my ED 100 class, I realized my true passion was teaching. Now I work with kids every day.

3. Your older sister is a JCU grad. Did that influence your decision to attend Carroll?

My older sister definitely influenced my decision. I always looked forward to weekend trips to watch her varsity soccer games and spend time with her. By the time I had to make my college decision, I was so familiar with JCU and felt comfortable here. I found myself comparing every other school to Carroll.

4. What else are you involved with on campus? What activities have defined your experience at JCU?

I’m involved with: women’s varsity soccer, student teaching at Moreland Hills Elementary (second grade), Admissions Speakers Bureau, the immersion experience to Ecuador (May 2009), Student Athletic Advisory Committee, Spring Concert Committee, the Manresa Retreat, Christian Life Communities, and the Leadership Playbook Program. Soccer has defined my experience at Carroll the most. I’ve made so many amazing friends. The memories we share will last forever.

Come visit us