125th Anniversary Schedule
Spring semester 2011
Jan. 30 – Feb. 4 – Ignatian Heritage Week
March 28-31 – Celebration of Scholarship
April – 125th Anniversary Month of Service
• April 3-9 – Alumni Immersion Trip to Haiti
• April 19 – Founders Day
• April 30 – Cultivating Community Day (with St. Ignatius High School)
May 20-22 – Commencement/Reunion
Fall semester 2011
Sept. 6 – 125th Anniversary of the First Day of Classes
• Mass of the Holy Spirit
• 125th Birthday Party (for students, faculty, staff, administrators, alumni, and friends)
• Luncheon, birthday cake, and entertainment
• Be part of the human “125” photo on the Quad
Sept. 29 – Oct. 2 – Homecoming 125
Oct. 6 – 125th Speaker Series
Fr. Timothy Radcliffe, O.P. (Grace Lecture)
Dec. 2 – 125th Anniversary Gala
The closing event of our 125th Anniversary year
We have much to look forward to!
John Carroll University will celebrate its 125th Anniversary in 2011, and it is just about time for our year-long series of events to begin.
It will be a time for us to reflect on our many achievements and our Jesuit Catholic tradition of excellence, and it will also be a time for us to look to the future – to find new ways to engage the world through leadership and service.
You will find our schedule of anniversary events on the opposite page, but we encourage you to visit our interactive 125th Anniversary website regularly at www.jcu.edu/125. Detailed information will be added to the 125th Anniversary website as the year progresses, including announcements about our commencement speaker, additional speakers, event details, and new interactive content.
To refresh you on a little John Carroll history, here are two key dates from 1886 that are particularly important to recognize as part of our 125th Anniversary:
• Founder’s Day: On April 19, 1886, a formal agreement between Bishop Richard Gilmour, Bishop of Cleveland, and Fr. Henry Behrens, S.J., Superior of the Buffalo Mission, invited the Buffalo Jesuits to establish a college in Cleveland.
• Opening Day: On September 6, 1886, classes opened for students and John Carroll University began life as St. Ignatius College on Cleveland’s West Side.
Since then, generations of students, faculty, staff, administrators, and alumni have made John Carroll a meaningful, purposeful, and vibrant institution.
We invite you to celebrate this milestone year by participating in one or more events. Reconnect with old friends and professors. See how the campus has changed. Meet our current students, and see what college life is like today. Get out your calendars and make a plan to come home to Carroll in 2011.