It’s an age-old question: are you born a leader?
Or is leadership developed, or, at different times and through different circumstances, thrust upon you? Are leadership skills more critical for some than others, depending on personal interests, civic involvement, potential career paths…
In short, is this program right for you? Yes! This minor is designed to complement any major you may be pursuing.
First, it’s an interdisciplinary minor, allowing you the chance to gain perspective and pursue interests from multiple disciplines across the university. Next, it combines theory and practice, so that you are grounded in critical thought, skilled in strategic thinking, and then given the chance to translate theory into practice in Leadership Labs from which you choose topics most relevant to you. Finally, you individualize your experience by designing a Capstone Legacy Project that impacts the campus or community in a positive way.
Instructors with deep professional expertise will guide you as you learn what it means to develop true leadership capacity in you and in others and, in so doing, to help fulfill the JCU mission of inspiring individuals to excel in learning, leadership, and service in the region.
The Leadership Development Minor seeks to inspire and equip students with knowledge, skills, and confidence to be agents for change in their daily lives, in their communities, and in their chosen vocations.
Leadership Development Minor Learning Goals
After completing the Leadership Development Minor, students will:
- possess a conceptual understanding of leadership theory and practices;
- understand how leadership is exhibited in various contexts;
- be aware of the personal attributes that impact their strategies for and abilities to influence others;
- understand the dynamics that affect group behavior and performance;
- further develop the core leadership competencies of communication and decision making; and
- have executed, evaluated, and reflected upon a significant leadership experience.