Here are some questions to consider as you decide which language(s) to study:
- How much did you enjoy the language that you took in high school? How successful were you at it?
- Which language is a match for your other academic interests?
- Do you anticipate using the language for your future profession? For example, will you be communicating in the workplace regularly with speakers of other languages?
- Or are you more interested in acquiring cultural knowledge, or enhancing your verbal skills overall? All language courses contain these elements, but in different proportions.
- Are you better at oral communication, or are reading and writing your strengths?
- Is there a country in which you would like to study or travel?
- Is there a language that will set you apart from the average person in your field?
- Do you succeed better in smaller classes?
Reasons for studying specific languages can be found at these pages: