I would like to. . .
- _____ improve my analytic and interpretive capacities.
- _____ sharpen my critical thinking skills.
- _____ expand my horizons.
- _____ think and write better in my own native language
When I apply for my job, I would like . . .
- _____ my application to catch the eye of future employers who are impressed with my language study.
Once I have my job, I would like. . .
- _____ as a multi-lingual worker to look much better at promotion time than one who knows only English.
- _____ to work more closely with companies from other countries.
- _____ to have my employer see me as a bridge to new clients or customers because I know a second language.
More information for you!
- The JCU Center for Career Services can also give you more information on specific career possibilities.
My Personal Goals:
_____ I want to make a difference in my own life and in the lives of others.
Career Choices for Majors:
- Teaching in schools (with a B.A.; to teach at public school systems you will also need licensure)
- Teaching in colleges and universities (after graduate studies: M.A., Ph.D.)
- Translation and interpretation (usually after specialized training following the B.A.)
- There are many other types of employment for which university studies in foreign languages can help prepare you:
Career Choices for students with familiarity in a foreign language:
- Civil service: positions with federal, provincial and municipal governments
- Radio and television broadcasting
- Transportation: airlines, railways, bus companies
- Employment agencies
- Import-export companies
- Graphic arts and illustration
- The legal profession
- Travel and tourism
- Banks and trust companies
- Insurance companies
- Telecommunications companies
- Audio-visual production companies
- Secretarial services
- Day care centers and nurseries
More Tips for Foreign Language Students: