Four Year Latin Scholarship
A competitive full-tuition, four-year scholarship is available to freshmen entering John Carroll University in the Fall of 2019 who have studied Latin at the secondary level for at least three years and intend to major in Classical Languages. Many recipients of the Castellano Scholarship also major in a second field of their choice in addition to classics. The requirements to retain this scholarship are enrollment in a Latin or Greek class each semester and maintenance of a 3.0 average both in the Classics major and overall.
This scholarship, offered for the first time in 1982, was established in honor of Reverend Charles A. Castellano, S.J., longtime member of the Classical Languages Department, who died in 1976.
How to Apply
Admission to John Carroll University
Candidates can be considered for the scholarship ONLY if they have been admitted to John Carroll University for the Fall semester, 2019.
Information about admission to John Carroll University is available at http://sites.jcu.edu/admission/
Deadline for completed scholarship application is February 1, 2019. The name of the recipient of the award will be announced by the end of March.
Requirements for Completing the Castellano Scholarship Application
1. A 1-2 page personal statement about your interest in majoring in the classics, your future career goals, and your views on how a classics major may help you in reaching your career goals. Please include a phone number and e-mail address with your statement. Deadline: February 1, 2019.
2. A letter of recommendation from your Latin or Greek teacher or from a school administrator supporting your application. This letter can be sent either electronically or in hard copy, but it must come directly from the recommender. Deadline: February 1, 2019.
3. The taking of the standardized written examination:
Applicants will take a Latin exam at their own school under the proctoring of a Latin instructor. Along with your personal statement, please send the name and e-mail address of the teacher who will proctor the exam and to whom the exam should be sent. The exam must be returned to John Carroll by Friday, February 22, 2019.
4. A personal interview at John Carroll University for those who successfully complete the first three steps to determine the winner of the scholarship. This one-hour interview will be conducted during the month of March, depending upon the convenience of the applicants and staff.
5. All material and questions should be directed to:
Dr. Gwen Compton-Engle
Castellano Scholarship Committee
Department of Classical & Modern Languages & Cultures
John Carroll University
1 John Carroll Blvd.
University Heights, Ohio 44118
(216) 397- 1969
Materials may be submitted through e-mail or US mail. In either case, letters of recommendation and exam materials should come directly from the teacher.