Learning Slovak is not as hard as you think!
- As the most central of Slavic languages, Slovak is a valuable key to communicating with others in Central and Eastern Europe.
- English and Slovak are both Indo-European languages, sharing more vocabulary than is generally realized.
Americans and Slovaks have many cultural ties!
- Are you interested in great world literature? Slovak is the language of Hollý, Kukučín, Timrava, Cíger-Hronský, and Hviezdoslav.
- Although geographically a relatively small country, Slovakia is a member of the European Union since May, 2004.
- Slovakia has become the home of many foreign manufacturing enterprises: US Steel, and numerous auto-related industries
The University Integrated Core Curriculum and Foreign Language:
- Foreign language study is a required part of the integrated core curriculum at John Carroll University. Why not choose Slovak?! (For further information on the core, please see the Undergraduate Bulletin.)
Slovak and your career
- Slovak can be helpful for art history, business, diplomacy, engineering, humanities, law, philosophy, political science, technology (including computer science), religious studies majors, and students of the natural sciences.
- Are you considering majoring in Business? Slovak is an excellent choice for Business majors wishing to tap into the as-of-yet unsaturated markets of Central and Eastern European countries.
- There are many marketing and other business exchange opportunities in Slovakia. Many businesses are eager to engage in import/export with the U.S.
EXAMPLES OF INTERDISCIPLINARY STUDIES FOR STUDENTS OF SLOVAK:
- World Literature
- Humanities Program
- Educational Certification
- World Language Teacher and Licensure Information
- IBLC program – International Business with Language and Culture