Learning Russian is not as hard as you think!
- Russian is one of the principal languages of the world. Russian is spoken by some 145 million people!
- Did you know that Russian is more phonetic than English or even Spanish? The Cyrillic alphabet (named in honor of St. Cyril) can be learned in just one week.
- English and Russian are both Indo-European languages, sharing more vocabulary than is generally realized. Can you guess the meanings of the transliterated words, telefon, bank,radio, doktor, biznes, ofis, kompiuter, and even marketing?!?
Americans and Russians have many cultural ties!
- Russia sees the U.S. as a very important political partner. For that reason, it promotes a strong transatlantic communication by sponsoring study exchanges and research visits for Americans each year in many cities.
- In this era of post-Communist rule, Russia is attempting to restructure itself politically, economically, and culturally.
- The U.S. is actively promoting a healthy relationship with Russia, both politically and academically. For instance, in recent years the Woodrow Wilson International Center awarded nearly half of its prestigious research stipends to Russian scientists wishing to visit the U.S., and to American academics working on Russian topics.
- Are you interested in great masterpieces of world literature? Russian is the language of Dostoevsky, Turgenev, Gorky, Tolstoy, Gogol, and Solzhenitsyn!
The University Integrated Core Curriculum and Foreign Language:
- Foreign language study is a required part of the integrated core curriculum at John Carroll University. Why not choose Russian?! (For further information on the core, please see the Undergraduate Bulletin.)
Russian and your career
- Russian is important for art history, business, diplomacy, engineering, humanities, law, philosophy, political science, technology (including computer science), and religious studies majors, as well as for students intending to pursue a graduate degree in one of the natural sciences.
- A knowledge of Russian is extremely useful for future scientists and engineers. Did you know that nearly a quarter of the world’s scientific literature is written is Russian!
- Are you considering majoring in Business? Russian is an excellent choice for Business majors wishing to tap into the as-of-yet unsaturated markets of the former Soviet Union.
- There are many marketing and other business exchange opportunities in Russia and other countries of the former Soviet Union. Many businesses are eager to engage in import/export with the U.S.
EXAMPLES OF INTERDISCIPLINARY STUDIES FOR STUDENTS OF RUSSIAN:
- Humanities Program
- Educational Certification
- World Language Teacher and Licensure Information
- IBLC program – International Business with Language and Culture
Why study Russian – more information according to AATSEEL and ACTR